Why Museums Need our help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: Why Museums Need our help

Why Museums Need our help

This is the most Famous Musem of London's HARWOOD - hardly worth a look

Here is mine - hence my Harwood will go to British Museum (on condition they display it)

Vintage items - should all end up in Museums - where the public can enjoy them!

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: Harwood picture courtesy of Museum of London
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 14th, 2013 at 19:24.
    Chronopolis and joeuk like this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Re: Why Museums Need our help

If nothing else, the textured dial on the museum piece is worth a look. I wonder if the strap is original? If so, that's not unimpressive either. Your watch is certainly "prettier", but not necessarily "better".
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    If nothing else, the textured dial on the museum piece is worth a look. I wonder if the strap is original? If so, that's not unimpressive either. Your watch is certainly "prettier", but not necessarily "better".
    Yes valid points, I agree too
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And in addition to above
    as AbslomRob says. 'All that glitters is not gold'
    but I do believe Museums need the best examples possible to them, of course other factors (like a dial) may be important to the display, but in general better kept pieces get visitors attention.
    And Museums that own the best pieces get the more attention

Regards

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    but in general better kept pieces get visitors attention.
    And Museums that own the best pieces get the more attention

Regards
    and museums with more attention get more entry revenue, exactly that's why am not sure I would commit such an act, in case of request.

Even though I like the idea of creating public awareness and sharing the rare and beautiful pieces for display purposes, I rather would do it with my own capabilities, like website, fan page etc but won't lend or give a timepiece to a museum. Museums, private and/or public are managed like companies and certainly have the budget of aquiring their needs or desires, just like us. I just find it dis-honest if they ask for it, by misusing yours-our passion in the name of public information share. If we,as individuals,enthusiasts,collectors locate our family budget's share for our hobby in a free economic state, corporations have the same ability to source them from the same market.

You raise an interesting point; in today's digital world, the value of a brick-and-mortar museum starts to be questionable, especially when it comes to things like watches. Fact is, neither the museum's watch nor Adam's watch is that exciting to someone who doesn't actually know what a Harwood is. What makes the hardwood interesting isn't the physical cased watch, but the engine inside it. And even if the museum shows the movement, if it's in a glass display case, it may as well be a picture for all the value it has to me as a viewer. A good website can provide more information, and i don't need to drive to a building somewhere to see it.

The challenge, of course, is money; even virtual museum's have costs, and the physical watches still need to be stored. Modern museaums need to come up with a business model that allows them to profit from their eclectic knowledge.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    and museums with more attention get more entry revenue, exactly that's why am not sure I would commit such an act, in case of request.

Even though I like the idea of creating public awareness and sharing the rare and beautiful pieces for display purposes, I rather would do it with my own capabilities, like website, fan page etc but won't lend or give a timepiece to a museum. Museums, private and/or public are managed like companies and certainly have the budget of aquiring their needs or desires, just like us. I just find it dis-honest if they ask for it, by misusing yours-our passion in the name of public information share. If we,as individuals,enthusiasts,collectors locate our family budget's share for our hobby in a free economic state, corporations have the same ability to source them from the same market.
    Hi
    Thanks your thoughts - as I always say "a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do". In other words, my ideas thoughts or opinions may not neccessarily be accepted by others.
    But
    Please understand most if not all Museums get NOTHING from Governments, they survive on members, gifts and visitors.
    Also most Museums are struggling to survive on very tight budgets and too few staff (NAWCC Museum has now only 1 curator!)

Trust me if we want Museums in the future - only donors will make that happen - not Governments
    The British Museum dedicates a tiny hall to watches ( I guess less than 2% of its floor area)
    If you Americans lose the NAWCC Museum - what you do.

will answer Rob in a bit

GREAT DISCUSSION guys.

Appreciated
    thanks

and
    Adam

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    If you Americans lose the NAWCC Museum - what you do.
    Already lost the teaching side so a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Already lost the teaching side so a fair point.
    Correct

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You raise an interesting point; in today's digital world, the value of a brick-and-mortar museum starts to be questionable, especially when it comes to things like watches. Fact is, neither the museum's watch nor Adam's watch is that exciting to someone who doesn't actually know what a Harwood is. What makes the hardwood interesting isn't the physical cased watch, but the engine inside it. And even if the museum shows the movement, if it's in a glass display case, it may as well be a picture for all the value it has to me as a viewer. A good website can provide more information, and i don't need to drive to a building somewhere to see it.

The challenge, of course, is money; even virtual museum's have costs, and the physical watches still need to be stored. Modern museums need to come up with a business model that allows them to profit from their eclectic knowledge...
    TAGHeuer had a wonderful virtual museum for a while. The design was very innovative. It is now a shell of its former self. For a while the physical museum was even closed except for one day a year. Now they again spend most of their money on the bricks and mortar version. I bet it has a lot less visitors!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information