Why is my watch not working?

Thread: Why is my watch not working?

Why is my watch not working?

I got up this morning and went to my watch drawer and pulled out my Bulova Royal Clipper 1954. It was dead even though I wound it the night before. It is self winding so maby it was just sitting too long. Nope it ran for a minute when I set it then tightened the back thinking it was pushing on the crown; nothing. I have been up for an hour it has run for 7 minutes. I have a combination of bad luck and stupidity that is true. The kicker is that it was at the shop a month ago and I only more it 5 times. I did not drop it once. I took the back off and there are no loose parts and the balance wheel just wont stay turning. It runs for long enough that the springs are good. So many of the watches I have worn have broke soon I have owned them it is expected to break but this is maddening. What are the causes for a healthy watch to simply stop working?

Re: Why is my watch not working?

Could be magnatisim,dirt in gear work, crown not in completely, hands hitting against each other, hands hitting crystal or dial, winding weight not engaged, winding weight rubbing on case or movement, broken mainspring, pallet jewel misaligned or broken, just to name a few.

If setting the time causes is to run for a few minutes, it sounds like dirt to me. I have the worst problem with tiny fibres; they get into the gears and get wound around the pinion, and you can't even <see> them except through a loupe.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You say it was at the shop a month ago, but was it serviced at the time? I had a hamilton serviced years ago, before I started watchmaking school, so I knew very little about the process. Instead of disassembling, cleaning, reassembling and oiling my watch, the guy dipped the whole thing (sans dial) in some kind of oily fluid. When it stopped working awhile later, I opened the back to find that the movt was wet with oil.
    As Rob says, your watch may be dirty. If a repair was done on it, that is no guarantee that the watch is clean unless it was serviced also. Another extremely common problem is/are vintage hands. Sometimes the hands get worn or bent, and in an effort to keep the watch original, the watchmaker will tighten the holes. After many services over the years, the hands will oftentimes bind because of microscopic burrs, bends, or efforts at tightening the fit.

In my experience if it runs while setting time then the first thing I would look at is the friction gear. Remember follow the power transmission. Is it tight at all when setting time? As R123 said it can be many things.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    What are the causes for a healthy watch to simply stop working?
    Lack of proper maintenance is the number one cause.

I turned the crown backwards and it started up. Apparently this may be the case "crown not in completely. It just stopped, I repeated the process and when I touch the crown backwards it kicks on. What is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    I turned the crown backwards and it started up. Apparently this may be the case "crown not in completely. It just stopped, I repeated the process and when I touch the crown backwards it kicks on. What is happening?
    Sounds like the setting mechanism may be dirty or broken. Time to have it serviced IMO.

We have a winner The setting mechanism is misbehaving.

Thread Information