Why is it so hard to find vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, & 60min bezel?

Thread: Why is it so hard to find vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, & 60min bezel?

Why is it so hard to find vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, & 60min bezel?

Hi everyone,
    How come it's so hard to find a vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, also with 60min bezel (something like the one in the picture)? Is this a rare combination?
    b
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Why is it so hard to find vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, & 60min bezel?

Quote Originally Posted by basi1 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    How come it's so hard to find a vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, also with 60min bezel (something like the one in the picture)? Is this a rare combination?
    b
    I agree. Most of them seem to have been dress watches. The exception being the big chunky Seiko Bellmatic series that was more of a executive/sport cross-over. Some of them have the alarm-setting bezel marked with 60 minutes, but of course that means you can use it only one way or the other

Sorna might have had an alarm watch with 60 minute bezel. At least the resurrected Sorna brand now is offering something like that and it looks exactly like the sort of thing they would have made back in the day. The new one has the hand-winding Sea-Gull ST28 alarm, pretty similar to the old AS1475 series. ...but it doesn't have a date function.

Re: Why is it so hard to find vintage mechanical watch with alarm, date, & 60min bezel?

Thanks Chascomm, i looked at some of the Sorna's model, to me it seems the one I attached previously looks more cool, the dial and the look is a little more well-balanced. But it's brand name is Monvis, never heard of it.

In your opinion, is it worth chasing after?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The simple truth is that the style you desire wasn't popular in bygone eras

So few were made, and they are quickly snatched up by collectors looking for vintage pieces with modern styling

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnson View Post
    The simple truth is that the style you desire wasn't popular in bygone eras

So few were made, and they are quickly snatched up by collectors looking for vintage pieces with modern styling
    The heyday of wrist alarms was the fiftires and sixties. At that time, loads were made with date but none with a bezel like that. Why? Because wrist watches in those days weren't very waterproof anyway and a lot of wrist alarms especially so (otherwise, the noise wouldn't have got out). Watches with a diving style bezel became popular in the late sixties and seventies at which time, the mechanical wrist alarm was struggling at least as much as the Swiss watch industry in general (everyone was into those damn beeping things which were much cheaper and could also act as a stopwatch as well as do complex equations at the same time!). The most famous diving wrist alarm, the Vulcain Cricket Nautical, didn't have a date and it didn't even have such a bezel (it had under-the-dial features to make it a diving watch). The closest you'll get before the seventies would probably be the one by Jaeger LeCoultre - rather rare and expensive when you see one!

Hartmut Richter

Thank you guys!! So the one in the picture is rather rare to find (or may i conclude this way?) no wonder i rarely see these features all combined in one vintage watch, only a little were made i suppose.

I do remember having a Poljot matching your specs, but that was when I myself was a college student (read: 1989). and yes, I was living behind the Iron Curtain back then...
    anyway. the alarm was weird, a buzzer, actually a hammer hitting the watch case. and the watch looked like this:

Thread Information