wifes newbies

Thread: wifes newbies

wifes newbies

just picked these up the other day my wife grabed all these off the table $5 both watches thought they alright and wifes buggin to post to find any info on these thankz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: wifes newbies

Well, the Bulova is definitely the pick of the two. Apart from being a rather better known brand, it has a nice movement - and an in-house one as well (Cal. 5CE, as stamped on the movement)! The other one, never mind the 17 jewels, has a pin lever movement and the overall movment finish is not as great. Still, both will be reliable if they are still in working order and once they have had a service - it's just that the Bulova would be worth a little more. Still, ladies watches are never that collectible (not enough demand) but at 5$ for both, you have not been ripped off.

As for age, I would guess fifties or early sixties for both.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Well, the Bulova is definitely the pick of the two. Apart from being a rather better known brand, it has a nice movement - and an in-house one as well (Cal. 5CE, as stamped on the movement)! The other one, never mind the 17 jewels, has a pin lever movement and the overall movment finish is not as great. Still, both will be reliable if they are still in working order and once they have had a service - it's just that the Bulova would be worth a little more. Still, ladies watches are never that collectible (not enough demand) but at 5$ for both, you have not been ripped off.

As for age, I would guess fifties or early sixties for both.

Hartmut Richter
    I had a Mortima in a batch off ebay recently. Mortima is/was, apparently, a brand of the French company Cattin AG. Mine had a 1 jewel movement marked Cattin C2, France.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi -

Mortima was a French watch company that was perhaps best known for its line of diver watches in the 1970s: Mortima SuperDatOMatic, gotta love that name. They made some strange watches. as you can see here (watch with temperature and compass built in...but in a dress watch!). The watches were generally Swiss Made.

Disappeared, as far as I know, during the quartz years. They were fairly pedestrian - you can see this in the movement shown - and at the end of the day simply didn't offer enough bang for the buck. Victim of their times...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Hi -

Excellent detective work...

Today's Cattin:

ATTIN & CIE SA MONTRES CATOREX

Rue du Pré-au-Maire 10
    Case postale 24
    2345 LES BREULEUX

Tel. : 032 / 954 16 54
    Fax : 032 / 954 16 48

Their slogan appears to be:

“And the best is, no one knows we produce for your brand !”

So I guess if you want to have a brand new Mortima, they're the folks to go to...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Thanks for that lead - in that case, the movement is a Cattin Cal. 64 (what else could it be with "C64" stamped on the movement?!):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Cattin_C64

So I guess the original estimate of around 1960 wasn't so bad.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information