WILKA watch info. request..

Thread: WILKA watch info. request..

WILKA watch info. request..

Hello Fellow watch lovers..... First time post in this section and was wondering if anyone can enlighten me further about this watch. This Wilka found its way into my collection and not really sure how it got there. I think it may have belonged to my Grandfather who served for Australia in WW1. I'm actually about to get it serviced (no restoration)and start wearing it (in a rotation) as it works great and keeps reasonably good time and I love vintage . Anyhow Wilka founded in Geneve 1902 by Wilhelm Kaufmann. I'm guessing he just commisioned someone to make watches for him but not sure...?? any ideas? Any information about the dating and the movement would be appreciated. The hallmarks are for silver - not sure what the zero and comma are before the silver mark 935. There are various watchmakers inscriptions on the back which I will list. Not sure what some of them mean other than obviously some dates of service. Thanks for looking and for thanks in advance for any feedback.

Serial No. 126713

Watchmakers marking
    • (1924, 2/72, 3295, 7419) - these are in one section on the inside back and possibly written at the same time??
    • MA 941-9-3
    • H2407

Name:  IMG_2087 (2).jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  62.4 KBName:  IMG_2091 (2).jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  71.7 KBName:  IMG_2099 (2).jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  79.0 KBName:  IMG_2103 (2).jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  44.4 KBName:  IMG_2108 (2).jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  34.8 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: WILKA watch info. request..

Welcome to Vintage and congratulations! That looks like a nice trench watch of which we have had quite a few recently. As for movement identification, I can't find an exact match - if in doubt, the keyless works may help but for that, the movement would need to be dismantled. If the watch is serviced and the watchmaker can't identify it, ask him for pictures of the dial side.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to Vintage and congratulations! That looks like a nice trench watch of which we have had quite a few recently. As for movement identification, I can't find an exact match - if in doubt, the keyless works may help but for that, the movement would need to be dismantled. If the watch is serviced and the watchmaker can't identify it, ask him for pictures of the dial side.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks Hartmut... I'll get back with some pictures when I get the watch apart
    Cheers
    Barry

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both the style of the case and the style of the movement are from the first or second decade of the 20th century; the "0,935" is just how some countries write decimals (it's the same as 0.935, the percentage of silver). Its not an English case or a Swiss case, so not sure where it might be from. The use of the comma for decimals is common in the french language though.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Both the style of the case and the style of the movement are from the first or second decade of the 20th century; the "0,935" is just how some countries write decimals (it's the same as 0.935, the percentage of silver). Its not an English case or a Swiss case, so not sure where it might be from. The use of the comma for decimals is common in the french language though.
    Thanks Rob for the information and for the link to your page... interesting stuff!

It could possibly be Swiss if this info is correct, http://www.silver-collector.com/topic981.html
    Last edited by john87300; September 4th, 2012 at 12:43.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by john87300 View Post
    It could possibly be Swiss if this info is correct, www.silver-collector.com :: View topic - Hallmarks on silver pocket watch?
    Thanks for that it got me researching in the right direction. The bear is definitely for Swiss silver ( I found a PDF which I will attach - according to the above website the bear hallmark was used between 1882 and 1934 ) so it is a Swiss case and the movement is signed Swiss Made. I have found a few other watch examples - some with a single bear hallmark and others with 2 bears as in the example that you led me to - not sure what that means if anything? Anyway little by little.....

Thanks very much john87300

Barry

Hallmarks_1880_1995.pdf

If it <is> swiss, check for the office mark (in document you linked too, you'll notice an "x" just under the arms of the bear; on yours, there should be a letter there that denotes the assay office).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    If it <is> swiss, check for the office mark (in document you linked too, you'll notice an "x" just under the arms of the bear; on yours, there should be a letter there that denotes the assay office).
    Yes I didn't see that in the document until I enlarged it!! It looks like an R - I think - I need a higher mag. loupe or better eyes!! Does an R make sense and if so what does it mean?
    Thanks
    Barry

Originally Posted by AbslomRob

Ok more research... I get it now... Yes R makes sense - Romanshorn
    Last edited by jackruff; September 4th, 2012 at 15:23.

Thread Information