will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

Thread: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,031

    will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    should i do that? remove the battery from my vintage quartz watches so that it will live longer?

  2. #2
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,123

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Quote Originally Posted by fireal View Post
    should i do that? remove the battery from my vintage quartz watches so that it will live longer?
    It has no effect unless the battery leaks... then the watch is almost always beyond economic repair. Leaking is rare for Energizers ("I have never seen one that leaked," says my watchmaker) so that is what I try to use.

    But I try to keep fresh batteries in most of my vintage quartz so I don't encounter that problem (and so I can wear them! ).
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  3. #3
    Member rmelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    501

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    I am no Quartz man, only have 1.

    But I can tell you this:
    The crystal is kept alive by the electric pulses.
    If a quartz movement is for a very long time without battery the crystal dies. It doesn't vibrate anymore.
    But when the stem is pulled out the cristal is kept under elctrical influence.
    so what to do:
    just pull the stem out and your crystal will keep vibrating. the energy involved is an absolout minimun, but will save your watch.
    If you take the battery out and leave it for say one year the chance is big you must change the movement...

    regards,
    RJ van Melle.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sz-n
    Posts
    308

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Quote Originally Posted by rmelle View Post
    I am no Quartz man, only have 1.

    But I can tell you this:
    The crystal is kept alive by the electric pulses.
    If a quartz movement is for a very long time without battery the crystal dies. It doesn't vibrate anymore.
    But when the stem is pulled out the cristal is kept under elctrical influence.
    so what to do:
    just pull the stem out and your crystal will keep vibrating. the energy involved is an absolout minimun, but will save your watch.
    If you take the battery out and leave it for say one year the chance is big you must change the movement...

    regards,
    RJ van Melle.
    Hi dutch friend,
    I always admire your knowledge and wise replies re. mechanical watches, but this one regarding quartz movements and quartz crystals is heretic (sic !).
    I have no issues with quartz movements left without batteries nor I have ever heard of such issues.

    As to the question on removing batteries from quartz movements - I would't do that.
    1) removing and inserting batteries into the movement may lead to minute shortages of battery poles discharging them considerably due to their small electrical capacity. Such shortages are unavoidable for certain movements
    2) certain particular watch cases have very tight case backs, and opening and closing them periodically expose such cases and casebacks for demages

    When you want to extend battery life withdrawing crown is the best solution.
    Sometimes in movement specification manufacturer advise to do that.

    Depends on movement:
    1) there are movements that don't consume energy at all with crown withdrawn
    2) there are movements that energy consumption is reduced with crown withdrawn
    Differentiation between these types is possible with multimeter or ohmmeter connected instead of battery for crown "in" and crown "out".

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,031

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    thanks guys, i suppose ill just leave the batteries in then!

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sz-n
    Posts
    308

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Quote Originally Posted by fireal View Post
    thanks guys, i suppose ill just leave the batteries in then!
    I leave them either.

    BTW - here is Ronda 515 movement manual stating clearly that when stem is pulled out power consumption is reduced by 70%

    http://www.ronda.ch/xx/technical/ba505&515.pdf

  8. #7
    Member AbslomRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Canada
    Posts
    5,315

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Storage is probably the most significant factor is the long-term life of a quartz. Proper storage ensures that the electronics don't degrade. Unfortunately, for many (especially older) quartz, time is against you from the start. The construction of many of the earlier chips used materials that were prone to break down over time. Tin whiskers and dendrites also tend to form over time (depending on various factors), and can short circuit the board.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sz-n
    Posts
    308

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Storage is probably the most significant factor is the long-term life of a quartz. Proper storage ensures that the electronics don't degrade. Unfortunately, for many (especially older) quartz, time is against you from the start. The construction of many of the earlier chips used materials that were prone to break down over time. Tin whiskers and dendrites also tend to form over time (depending on various factors), and can short circuit the board.
    In my opinion the main killer of early quartz watches were leaking batteries, static electricity when handling modules and quartz crystals rather sensitive, prone to damages.

    As the battery technology has improved over years today the main killer of analog quartz movements are people damaging accidentaly movement coils or dirt coming to the movement through untight cases (proper cleaning of the case and case back from dirt built up through 2 or 3 years is essential when replacing batteries).

    And the main killer of digital quartz watches with LCD displays is deterioration of "zebra connectors" as aging process.

  10. #9
    Member rmelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    501

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Dear Dbl_,
    This knowladge about the crystals keep vibrating when stem pulled out and dying when left without electrical current comes straight out of the books from my wathcschool times. and that was only 11 years ago...
    When visiting ETA in 2002 I asked about it and they indeed sayd it was the truth. Also when I visited Ronda the same answer was given.
    The funny thing is:
    as the crystals grew smaller and smaller over the quartz evolution the problem became more and more serious...
    But fortunately it I don't have to deal with it......

    regards,
    RJ van Melle.

    PS: Although not working on them the technique is interisting though...

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sz-n
    Posts
    308

    Re: will removing the battery from vintage quartz watches extend its lifespan?

    Quote Originally Posted by rmelle View Post
    Dear Dbl_,
    This knowladge about the crystals keep vibrating when stem pulled out and dying when left without electrical current comes straight out of the books from my wathcschool times. and that was only 11 years ago...
    When visiting ETA in 2002 I asked about it and they indeed sayd it was the truth. Also when I visited Ronda the same answer was given.
    The funny thing is:
    as the crystals grew smaller and smaller over the quartz evolution the problem became more and more serious...
    But fortunately it I don't have to deal with it......

    regards,
    RJ van Melle.

    PS: Although not working on them the technique is interisting though...
    Sounds weird for me.
    I've read many quartz movement specifications and manuals (incl. Ronda, Seiko, Miyota, S.Epson) and never found any disclaimers not to leave modules without batteries.
    If quartz crystals degrade substantialy without battery, manufacturer would warn about it in bold red font.

    In fact quartz crystals degrade over time (according to their quality and manufacturing faults). One of the reasons is lost tightness of the casing of crystal allowing to lost of inertnes of the atmosphere inside casing which has further impact on metallisation and resonance frequency). However I'm not an expert and we went far away from horology trying to find reasons of quartz crystals failures.

    Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •