Winder for automatic pocket watches?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Winder for automatic pocket watches?

Winder for automatic pocket watches?

I just got the first item in my projected automatic pocket watches collection.

Granted, it will be very small. Now it consists of an steel Eterna-matic Golfer; I hope to get a Citizen Leopard, and perhaps a prototype IWC. I have little hope of getting neither the Perpetuale 1890, nor the UR Werk UR-1001. I am aware of no other models, available or not, even if I have seen a mention in Wikipedia about some unspecified XIX Century models, and a mention on a forum on the Eterna Golfer of other similar models in the Twenties & Thirties.

Now, assuming I get a second item, I thought it is hardly worthwhile to have more than one automatic watch if one does not have an automatic winder, and all I have seen were made for wrist watches.

Are there any automatic watch winder fit for pocket watches, or would I have to either desist of adding collection, or to do it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Winder for automatic pocket watches?

Depending on the size, you could get a "pouch" style wristlet case (the kind that you can fit the entire pocket watch into). Really, though, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Unless it's has a day/date, the inconvenience of having to reset the time between usage is more then offset by the reduced wear (which is always a concern when you're dealing with 50 year old watches).
    leandro likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Re: Winder for automatic pocket watches?

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Depending on the size, you could get a "pouch" style wristlet case (the kind that you can fit the entire pocket watch into).
    Nice tip, thank you.

Really, though, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Unless it's has a day/date, the inconvenience of having to reset the time between usage is more then offset by the reduced wear (which is always a concern when you're dealing with 50 year old watches).
    Yes, you have a point. But the model I am really keen on getting, the Citizen Leopard, does have a day display, as well as at least a variation of the Eterna Golfer. I will think over it, thanks a lot!

Thread Information