Winding a bumper movement - doubt
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By GeneJockey
  • 2 Post By DaBaeker
  • 1 Post By Dan S
  • 3 Post By Elvis Silva

Thread: Winding a bumper movement - doubt

Winding a bumper movement - doubt

Hello, everyone. I have a doubt about winding a bumper movement. Here it goes:

I own four watches equipped with this kind of movement: two Omegas (cals. 344 and 30.10 RA PC), one Mido (cal. 1017) and a Polerouter (cal. 138 SS). Both Omegas begin to work immediately after I rock them. The other two require some crown winding first: shaking them doesn't usually provide enough tension to the mainspring, in order to start operation. Does it mean that they need some service or lubrication? It looks quite strange that my Omegas work almost immediately and the others don't...

Additionally, could you tell me which is the best way of providing initial tension on a bumper mainspring: winding via crown or simply rocking the watch? Today, a watchmaker advised me to always wind a bumper via crown first, as shaking too much could damage some components. Is this true?
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Re: Winding a bumper movement - doubt

Manually winding the crown will almost certainly wind the movement up a lot faster than rocking it. The movement of the oscillating weight or rotor in an automatic has to run through a series of reduction gears so that a lot of motion only winds the mainspring just a little.

Any watch in good repair should start up with just a few turns of the crown, so if it takes a lot of winding to get the watch running, yeah, that suggests it needs service.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Your answer could easily be the two need service attention. However, my omega all start right up, bumpers and rotors. And, as long as the watch has the capability to be manually wound (the omegas do) you could try winding the others a good dozen or so winds. These are over 50yr old machines! I don't start right up like I used to either. And as for my omega bumper...prefer to bounce it off my left inner thigh since its naturally padded. I'm not afraid to give them hardy bumps as long as I can feel the hammer hit the springs. I only do this occasionally if I'm going to be reading for hours in the morning which doesn't always provide enough force to rotate. But mostly my bumpers have been trouble free.
    Elvis Silva and kazrich like this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It will definitely take longer to wind using an auto-winding mechanism, especially a bumper that is less efficient, but it should eventually wind enough to start running. Are you saying that if you rock the Mido or Polerouter for a full minute it still won't start running? That doesn't make sense to me and definitely suggests the need for a service or repair.
    kazrich likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Ok, fellows, thank you for the input. And Dan, I usuallly never rock'em for a full minute: if I don't see action immediately, I go for the crown. I'll try it and see what happens.

Actually, it doesn't take much crown winding to start the Mido and the UG up. For the rest of the day, they don't stop and work well, which seemingly indicates that autowinding is fine. So, I guess they are probably ok.
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Thread Information