Winding a Longines 22A movement
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Winding a Longines 22A movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winding a Longines 22A movement

Hello. I purchased a "clean, lubed, adjusted and timed" 1950 Longines 22A (automatic) watch from an eBay seller recently. The watch was physically described accurately. As I do with all my older automatics, I gave the crown 20 or so half-turns and strapped it on. After two days, it quit running until I wound it by the crown again. I have a pretty active lifestyle and I've never had an issue with an self-winder not getting enough rotor time to keep the watch wound. Plus, although I couldn't verify the number of hours, the 22A likely has a power reserve of 40-44 hours and that's about how long it ran before kacking.

When I contacted the seller, this was his reply:

Thanks for the email. I am please you like the watch.
    The automatic function may not wind the watch enough during the day to keep the watch running night after night. It depends on how active you are.
    (If for example, you put the watch on a watch winder, it will run continuous, without stopping.)
    What you can do is when you wake in the morning, give it a few winds. This with the movement you do throughout the day should ensure it runs continuous.

I'm no expert so I want to be fair to the seller. Is it reasonable to expect to hand-wind an automatic, as he suggests I do? The watch comes with a 90 day warranty and return privileges for 2 weeks (I'm still within that window of time). Also, if possible, I'd like to keep the watch -- but have it work as I expect it to: no extra winding when being worn, unless my expectations are unreasonable -- so what would you suggest?

(Also, I do have a winder so I could test his assertion about it running continuously.)

Thanks for your opinions.

Re: Winding a Longines 22A movement

Every automatic I wear needs a 'charge' of handwinding every week to keep going... unless I am doing a lot of driving. I guess typing doesn't wind watches much
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I can't speak to any specifics concerning your particular watch. I'm don't have much expertise on Longines other than to know yours is an excellent watch. I have a couple day dates and a Zodiac Moonphase that I keep on a winder. Sometimes they may be on there for weeks and when I take them off they are running. I generally still have to give them some winds for everyday use.

For the others if I am wearing them regularly they may take more than 20 half winds. Even then when I pick it back up in the morning I will give it some winds first off. Doing that I've never had one stop. What I would do not knowing this watch which means I could be wrong is wind it more to start and give it some winds in the morning. If that was all it took to stay running and keeping good time, I would consider it good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

Quote Originally Posted by Farkle View Post
    "clean, lubed, adjusted and timed"
    This is ebay dialect for "oil shower, all animals bigger than one Millimeter killed".
    Take the watch to a watchmaker to check the performance, and then decide whether to keep it or not.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Roland has the right of it. At least the seller was accurate and honest in his description. Most would have claimed that it had been serviced and now you know the difference. Buying a watch with that description is a little less of a gamble than a watch with no description. But all watches bought second hand need to be done so with an understanding of what you are actually buying and if you wish to buy them to wear then run them past your watchmaker before doing so.

In my opinion a 'automatic' watch should wind and stay run if worn each day.
    If not its faulty
    Remember John Harwood " One cigarette and your watch is wound"
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Roland Ranfft? Wow ... I think I may have strayed about your site a few dozen times researching technical aspects of movements. If it is you, thanks so much for all the work you do maintaining that website!
    Roland ... I did take it to a watch maker and, while he was a very helpful guy, it was obvious he had a certain distain for eBay finds. He also told me that anyone who cracks open a watch for service who is not WOSTEP or CW21 certified is "a butcher" and will likely damage the watch more than help it. I hope the truth is somewhere in-between. Anyway, I can have him open the case and give me an estimate for $95 but I'd really rather not have to spend the money. He said if there was a problem, $450-500 to set it straight, assuming parts were available, etc. The purchase price of the watch doesn't make an additional $450 "investment" particularly attractive. Maybe if it had sentimental value BUT as I've only had it 6 days ... not so much.

I'm sort of with the camp about a watch staying wound on my wrist. Geez, I walked about two miles a day the past few days. I'm a pretty active guy.

Thanks for your feedback ... keep it coming!

I have a 1960 Zodiac Glorious and a 1974 Omega Genieve, and neither need to be wound ever once you wear them every 2nd day. I have been wearing the Zodiac for a year now and have never wound it.
    I have a 1958 Omega Seamaster automatic and it needs to be would each day. To me this is a faulty auto winder. I plan to send it off for a full service and repair.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I would suggest that you find another watchmaker. On the time it took to have that conversation he could have opened the case and made an initial view as to the state of the watch and not charged you for it.
    jsw41 likes this.

Could it be that the bearing of the rotor is worn? I believe that would not be an unusual problem with these old cal 22A automatics. Up to you to decide whether you want to keep it, since you can still wear it and use it as a handwound or a semi-automatic if you like.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information