Witch vintage maker

Thread: Witch vintage maker

Smile Witch vintage maker

Hi

I am new here.

Thank you for a good forum all

I am getting more and more into the world of a vontage watch, to be my dai to day watch.

But, witch watch, maker, movement is the best to go for? I am seeking a watch that is a bit sporty, not a "dress" watch.
    Talking about one made from the 50´s-pre 1970.

When I say best, I think of the movement and the service, repair and spare parts.

"All" talk about Rolex, saying it is THE watch to get.....is that really so?
    What about the nice IWC, Zenith and VC that was made?

I do not mean to say that Rolex is a bad watch, I only feel some buy it only for the name.....oh, hope I am not making the forum and members here mad at me now?

Thanks

Re: Witch vintage maker

IMHO Rolex, while an excellent watch is more a creature of marketing and is not necessarily better than many less expensive watches. You really pay for the name. Since you are interested in vintage be aware that Rolex does not support old watches, I think 20 years is their cutoff. If you were into watches back in the 1950s and 1960s Omega and Longines probably had better reputations than Rolex. The brands you mentioned have excellent reputations also.

I have picked up a couple of vintage Omega pieces for reasonable money, even with full service and repair I have about $400 invested in each one. One is a 18K gold Geneve (1970ish from movement number) and the other is an automatic Deville (from 1973ish). Omegas are always popular, very well made and a respected brand by most watchmakers. Omega has a vintage lookup feature on thier website too. I would recommend them for a vintage purchace in the quality brands you are looking at.

Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another vintage watch which usually represents great value for the money is Tissot. They mad a broad range of casing and their own movements which are reliable, accurate workhorses... every bit as good as most of Omega and Longines movements. Some of their designs are still striking today.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

From the 1950s I'd look at Omega and Tissot but also Bulova. Bulova were well made, relatively cheap and easy to fix.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Sporty?

Early Omega divers command some good money and are faked. Watch out.

There is an independent Rolex Service Center in San Francisco that still works on vintage pieces. Also, London's Service Center does. Not sure about on the continent.

For semi sporty, I'd try a Rolex Turn-O-Graph.

One of Bulova's divers, a Glycine Airman or a Rotary Aquaplunge might work as well.

I don't know enough about the other brands to recommend a model.

Speaking of divers and Bulova... here is one just in -- time warped from 1968 if I read the date code correctly...

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I note the OP is from Norway. One good quality "sporty" watch which has a connection with Scandinavia is the Universal Geneve Polerouter - official watch of SAS airline in its day.

See:
    http://www.polerouter.com/

Another quality make that hasn't been mentioned and may fit the bill is Certina.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Marrick; October 15th, 2008 at 11:54.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Well I don't know much about IWC's or AP's customer support, but Omega has an outstanding service center. Even if you pick up something that needs a little overhauling, the watchmakers at Omega do their best.

For me, it's quite important to have a trusted support service behind the company, especially if I buy a Vintage, an already used one. Other than Omega, people at Longines also very helpful, even though they are not Audemars Piquet or Rolex, a very respected and prestigious brand...just like Omega, of course!
    -Blaise-

Banned

I'd agree that Omega & Longines are very good watches - Longines is getting very popular again. To answer your question on a great sporty watch from the era you want, have you looked at the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms? Rolex Submariners are nice but very expensive from that period. Maybe a vintage IWC Ingenieur also. All have excellent movements. Carl F. Bucherer also made some great supercompressors like the Archimedes, and a few of their chronographs had Frederic Piguet movements in them. Dress watches were more prevalent then. The VC calibre 1120 is legendary and their Patrimony series can be found for a decent price if you look for a 70's example. I just picked up an IWC in SS with the famous calibre 89 for a very good price - it was harder to find a SS version than a solid gold example so I couldn't pass it up.

Thread Information