Wittnauer--authentic? Please help identify...

Thread: Wittnauer--authentic? Please help identify...

Wittnauer--authentic? Please help identify...

Judging from the look, does this seem authentic? is it a franken?

Have the original rubies been replaced with cheaper screws?

The face looks good, but I don't know enough about the movement to tell, and the de-centered nature of the imprints on the inside of the case cover seem suspicious, no?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: Wittnauer--authentic? Please help identify...

What worries me is the near-new condition of the dial compared to the movement and case. That usually tells me it's a refinished or replacement dial. It's a bit beat up and I think you can find an example in much better shape. For your budget from the other thread, you're in the ballpark for Wittnauer, Benrus, Bulova, Eterna, and several other brands. Don't rush - there are plenty of watches out there.

The script of the "Automatic" looks like Longines font. I'm used to seeing it on Conquests and the like. Did other watch companies use that same font or is this what the redialer had on hand when he did it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    The script of the "Automatic" looks like Longines font. I'm used to seeing it on Conquests and the like. Did other watch companies use that same font or is this what the redialer had on hand when he did it?
    The automatic is correct, and was also used on some LeCoultre watches (which were associated with Longines back then also). It might be a good redial, or a NOS replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    The automatic is correct, and was also used on some LeCoultre watches (which were associated with Longines back then also). It might be a good redial, or a NOS replacement.
    "NOS" replacement? What's that?

So you think the wittnauer dial is refurbished, or is this a franken?

Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    Longines bought Wittnauer so that is why some of the dials look the same here is a photo on mine to me it looks like a real Wittnauer dial all most the same as mine.I also got a gold flash on the rotor on the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by dsantos1 View Post
    "NOS" replacement? What's that?

So you think the wittnauer dial is refurbished, or is this a franken?
    NOS=new old stock. And if thats the case somebody replaced the original dial with this. Does that make it a franken? Purists would say absolutely but imo-its better than a mediocre refurbished dial thats 'original' to watch. Its all a matter of what your looking for to collect. You can honestly tell anyone that its an authentic old wittinauer watch which was related to Longines at the time. The wittinauer was Longines 'entry' level watch brand but the prices for them has slowly picked up along with the price of longines.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    Longines bought Wittnauer so that is why some of the dials look the same here is a photo on mine to me it looks like a real Wittnauer dial all most the same as mine.I also got a gold flash on the rotor on the movement.
    gorgeous watch.

So on the NOS tip---does that mean that the actual part is NEWLY made to fit and OLD model? or is and OLD part that is NEWLY fitted to the original watch?

forgive my newbie confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by dsantos1 View Post
    gorgeous watch.

So on the NOS tip---does that mean that the actual part is NEWLY made to fit and OLD model? or is and OLD part that is NEWLY fitted to the original watch?

forgive my newbie confusion.
    NOS means it was made back when all the other particular watches and parts were made but it was never purchased and hence.. its old stock in brand new condition. Not just parts can be nos but a whole watch, if never sold can be nos too.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information