Wittnauer Automatic - Help to ID and date

Thread: Wittnauer Automatic - Help to ID and date

Wittnauer Automatic - Help to ID and date

My father wore this watch for as long as I can remember. It has huge sentimental value to me.I had the crystal replaced as it was very badly scratched and the watch repair has quoted AUD$300 to clean and repair the face. Without knowing the value, it is difficult to gauge if this is reasonable.Can anyone help? There are no markings on the back and I didn't think of asking the watch guy to look for the internal serial number when he replaced the crystal. Really just want an estimate of the date!Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Wittnauer Automatic - Help to ID and date

It's harder to gauge the overall worth of the piece without a picture of the movement. The thick bezel, two tone dial and lumed hands suggest 50's or late 40's. Wittnauer was a major importer that represented some very good watch makers (they're often associated with Longines, but I don't think they were that close in the 50's). Regardless, 300 to repair the dial will likely represent the full value of the watch (since that probably represents a redial, which lowers the value of the watch).

We can't do valuations, but with enough pictures, we can give you an idea of the general quality and desirableness of the piece; you can check with online auctions and retailers for similar ones toget a rough idea of what it might sell for.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I would also suggest shopping around. Seems a bit on the high side to me, so that's why I'd suggest a second (or third) opinion.
    Ask with a couple of other nearby (or not so nearby) watch repair shops to see how much they charge.
    The most important question is if they do the service in house, if they send it off somewhere else, that will add extra time/money that you end up paying.

Last thing to do is let us know where you are, as there is likely a WUS member in your area who can point you to the right shop.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys. I'm in Sydney Australia, though Canadian born and my parents lived in Southerm Ontario.

Seems Dad was a bit of a collector as he's left me a few pocket watches (one I've dated to 1893) as well the Wittnauer and a couple others. None seem to be too valuable but are lovely pieces.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Personally I wouldn't get it redialled, especially since it's a family piece. I'd rather have it in the condition which my father knew it and not erasing all the marks of his ownership.

Thread Information