Wittnauer Chronograph Cal 14Y
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Wittnauer Chronograph Cal 14Y

Wittnauer Chronograph Cal 14Y

Hello,

This is my first time starting a post because it is rare I can't find information right away here on WUS from people who have had the same questions. I've been learning tons from the forums over the past several months. After seeing the Hamilton chronomatic w/ cal. 11 on worn&wound I've become borderline obsessed with vintage chronos. I've yet to pull the trigger on one as many are just outside my reach financially (although my definition of an affordable watch has changed drastically in the past months!).

Anyways, I've been watching a Wittnauer Chrono Professional (World Cities) on eBay that has the Cal 14Y movement. The only information I dug up was that it was a modified "Landeron 249" movement according to someone on the sales forums. After searching for Landeron 249's I think that may have been a typo as little to no information showed up on the 249. So is the cal 14y a modified landeron 248? If not what movement is it? Is that a good reliable chrono movement? Easy to get parts? How does it compare with the valjoux 773X movements?

Any information on the movement or further info on Wittnauer chronos of the 60s/early 70s would be greatly appreciated! I have thoroughly appreciated the depth of knowledge here on the forums...thank you!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Wittnauer Chronograph Cal 14Y

I must say that I know too little about Landeron movements but I suspect it's also a typo (I dug up the sales post). The Landeron movements were the first to use the cam system for the chronograph module (developed by Dubois-Depraz for them) but Venus weren't too far behind with their Cal. 188 and the Valjoux 7730 series is based on the Venus 188. Both Landeron and Venus/Valjoux cam system calibres are reliable chronograph movements and there isn't too much between them.

Hartmut Richter
    James A likes this.

Re: Wittnauer Chronograph Cal 14Y

Thanks for chiming in Hartmut...the more I dig in to the different types of watches and movements (and their history) it seems I will be secured a hobby for a lifetime :)

Thread Information