WMF Sellers of Altoona - Any help with pocket watch dating, please?

Thread: WMF Sellers of Altoona - Any help with pocket watch dating, please?

WMF Sellers of Altoona - Any help with pocket watch dating, please?

Finally found a lovely pocket watch with arabic numerals in an elegant style (to my eyes, at least). Only had it a week, but it keeps good time and I'm delighted to ditch my wristwatch, since I've never felt comfortable wearing one! The jeweller who sold it to me couldn't be more specific than to say "possibly 1920's" when I asked about its history. I'd like to learn more about this watch and would appreciate any information or tips from the cognoscenti here.

The watch face and the movement are both marked "W M.F.SELLERS & Co" and "ALTOONA, PA". The movement is also marked "15 JEWELS" and has a serial number 13970172.

The case has a Fahys mark above a caduceus symbol and is marked "WARRANTED TO WEAR PERMANENTLY".

Can anyone please help with a date of manufacture or any leads to find out more of its history?

Many thanks, Andy

Name:  sellers01.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  180.4 KBName:  sellers02.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  153.5 KBName:  sellers03.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  143.1 KBName:  sellers04.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  156.0 KBName:  sellers07.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  330.9 KB

Re: WMF Sellers of Altoona - Any help with pocket watch dating, please?

Its a "Private Label" watch manufactured by Waltham in 1904. According to the NAWCC database, it's a 16 size 15j Grade 620 with a patent regulator and breguet hairspring, which matches what we see in your pictures. WM Sellers was probably a jewelry store in Altoona that paid a few cents to have Waltham engrave their name on the movement, as was common at the time.

In the hierarchy of watch movements, this would have been a decent watch suitable for typical consumers. My 1906 Eatons catalog shows a list price for a 15j Waltham in a 25y case at $13.25 + 2.75 for the hunter case. For reference, a "Vanguard" 23jewel Waltham in the same case was $37.75 + 2.75.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi Andy,

the movement is a Waltham 1899 grade 620, made in ca. 1905:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Waltham 1899 open-face

Regards, Roland Ranfft

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the speedy information Rob(?) - so the local jeweller here in Nottingham was out by a decade or two. You're spot on about Sellers - it should be Wm. F. Sellers. William and his brother (I think) ran a firm of jewelers (US spelling) and manufacturing opticians in downtown Altoona. Their premises are now occupied by beauticians and a medical supply company.

Thanks again. Andy

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the information and the link.

The data there includes mention of a "power reserve 42h" - Would I be correct in assuming that this means the movement (when new) would have kept going for 42 hours on a full wind? I wonder what would be a typical power reserve for a watch with a century of ticking behind it. I could test it, but I'm loath to put too much stress into the mainspring.

Thanks again. Andy

Thread Information