Won A Waltham Pocket Watch - What Do I Need to Know

Thread: Won A Waltham Pocket Watch - What Do I Need to Know

Won A Waltham Pocket Watch - What Do I Need to Know

I have had nice watches for more than a decade, but I have never had a nice pocket watch. I made an offer that I did not really think the seller would take, but he/she did. What I would like to know from the vintage pocket watch lovers here is what do I need to know about this watch. I appreciate your input. Waltham 18s of LS Pocket Watch | eBay

Re: Won A Waltham Pocket Watch - What Do I Need to Know

Hi there.

Grade 18 Waltham movement:

Movement Serial Number: 10978360
    Estimated Production Year: 1901
    Run Quantity: 2000
    Size: 18s
    Jewels: 7j
    Movement Configuration: Hunting
    Movement Finish: Unknown
    Model: 1883
    Movement Setting: Lever
    Plate: Full Plate
    Adjusted: No
    Railroad Grade: No

It's been re-cased -- you can tell from the faint mark made by an original case screw on the edge of the case in the movement shots. This may mean it was originally housed in a gold case that was scrapped for the metal.

It's a 7-jewel movement, which is fine, but not a high-grade. The case may have contained a railroad-grade watch at one point, but this movement is not that precise. However, it looks clean, and it's a very pretty movement.

The person who listed it described it as an "OF" watch, which I assume means "Open Face," but this movement is properly described as "Hunting" as the crown is at 3.

A nice one!
    Last edited by chronophobia; November 23rd, 2013 at 05:14.

Re: Movement Serial Number: 10978360

I am new at this, but how do you get 1901 out of this serial number, doesn't it have too many digits? I am misreading it, right?
    Have Discovered Vintage Pocket Watches!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bundtrock View Post
    Re: Movement Serial Number: 10978360

I am new at this, but how do you get 1901 out of this serial number, doesn't it have too many digits? I am misreading it, right?
    By 1901, Waltham Watch Co., in one form or another, had already produced those 10 million pocket watch movements. The year 1901 included those movements between serial numbers 10,200,000 and 11,100,000. The Waltham Watch Co. had not necessarily been the "Waltham Watch Company" for that whole time (the company had been passed around several times), but it was essentially the same business (same manufacturing location and processes).

There are several sites that post the Waltham serial number date table. One of them is here: http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/walthamserials.html

Quote Originally Posted by M.Stanton View Post
    By 1901, Waltham Watch Co., in one form or another, had already produced those 10 million pocket watch movements. The year 1901 included those movements between serial numbers 10,200,000 and 11,100,000. The Waltham Watch Co. had not necessarily been the "Waltham Watch Company" for that whole time (the company had been passed around several times), but it was essentially the same business (same manufacturing location and processes).

There are several sites that post the Waltham serial number date table. One of them is here: http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/walthamserials.html
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    Have Discovered Vintage Pocket Watches!

Thanks. The watch has arrived and it is working very well. I have just one more question - what is the proper sequence to set the watch. I have to take the crystal off and there is a lever to pull out. Do I pull the lever before or after I pull up on the crown? When restowing these is it the reverse or some other order? I appreciate your help. Also, is there some way to hack the second hand or does it just run as long as there is spring power?

From what you descibe you have a lever set watch, after you remove the bezel and crystal pull out the lever then you'll be able to set the hour and minute hands, once you set the correct time push the lever back in and replace the bezel and crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    From what you descibe you have a lever set watch, after you remove the bezel and crystal pull out the lever then you'll be able to set the hour and minute hands, once you set the correct time push the lever back in and replace the bezel and crystal.
    Thanks.

Thread Information