World War II Waltham with Russian engraving - Page 2

Thread: World War II Waltham with Russian engraving

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: World War II Waltham with Russian engraving

Gut feel? Sigh. It's not gut feel Adam, that's a "this style of watch doesn't match up with it's purported story".

To the best of my knowledge, the only sweep second model 1942 watches produced prior to the 6/0 C (which came out in 1945) was the A-11 Hack navigation watch; which was only issued to the military in appropriate cases with appropriate dials. Since the lendlease program ended in 1945, that makes the odds of it including such a watch somewhat unlikely. Not impossible, but then that's why I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see the movement and serial number.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Gut feel? Sigh. It's not gut feel Adam, that's a "this style of watch doesn't match up with it's purported story".

To the best of my knowledge, the only sweep second model 1942 watches produced prior to the 6/0 C (which came out in 1945) was the A-11 Hack navigation watch; which was only issued to the military in appropriate cases with appropriate dials. Since the lendlease program ended in 1945, that makes the odds of it including such a watch somewhat unlikely. Not impossible, but then that's why I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see the movement and serial number.
    Seems to me you like the last statement in any discussion

Me I make my opinion (with translation( and wait for OP to post a picture of the movement

Maybe you could do the same?
    I have MY opinion, you have your (opinion - NOT sigh)

Lets wait and see.

Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Answered by Tim on Vintage Watch Forums
    the translation is: "Геройскому народу СССР Рошен Уор Релиф США" - "To the heroic people of the USSR Russian War Relief USA".
    This is typical Russian patriotic phrasing. I suspect it was engraved in the USSR. Americans would not use this phrasing, IMHO.

Pics from the inside would tell more, but I suspect not enough to assure authenticity.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post

Pics from the inside would tell more, but I suspect not enough to assure authenticity.
    Agreed
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I don't need the last word, I just don't like it when the person I'm talking to ignores the valid facts I've presented while dismissing my "opinion" as baseless. You haven't even tried to explain how this watch could have been in a lendlease program that ended before the watch was likely built? Some more facts for you to ignore: the first 6/0C was Serial# 32234001, which the grey book lists as being produced starting in September 1945. The U.S. terminated all lendlease programs on September 20th, 1945.

Apologies for the absence - I do not have a great picture of the movement or serial number as I have not yet received the purchase. When I get it, I'll post a more detailed shot(s) if people are interested.

Thank you for the translation assistance as well - my one year of Russian in college did not pay off! My parents would be disappointed.

What I have been able to pull from the photo I have of the movement is that it is serial number 31441755 (I think) and movement area is grainy but it looks like 6/0 '42.

To me what appeals is the story - an American made watch given to a Russian soldier during World War II...that's a cool little piece of history and that's why I bought it. That said - I sure as .... hope its authentic!

It's the first few numbers that are key, and that serial would be consistent with a A-11 spec movement made in 1943; if so, you'll find that it "hacks" as well (meaning the second hand will stop if you pull out the crown). There aren't a lot of records I can find around Waltham's as part of the lendlease; there were a bunch of hamilton's with 987a movements (which were the lower-quality Hamilton WWII watches) in cases very similar to yours though. The one shown over on the Vintage Watch forum (which is the same watch you'll find shown in a couple of other forums as well, and is somewhat of a rebuild) is the only other Waltham I've seen associated with this program, and notably it has a similar case and crown to the hamiltons. Yours has a similar case, but slightly different crown, but either could have been a replacement over the years. Same deal with the hands; yours and the one at VW have the same hands, but neither set matches the ones used on the A-11 or ord. watches, and the hands on yours are obviously either a replacement or at the least have been relumed. That's not uncommon; the original lume tends to flake off after a while, and you don't want little pieces of radioactive dust getting in to the movement. Lume on the dial tends to be more 'stable', so again not unreasonable for it to still be there. The dial looks like it has a fairly thick layer of nicotine on it.

If nothing else, the case is probably legit, and if the serial number is as you say, the weight of evidence swings towards the positive; details of the movement, inner caseback and mounting method will help. Probably asking too much, but if you get it serviced (which I hope you do), try to get a picture of the back of the dial; that sometimes has info (like dates or manufacturer marks) on it. It would be nice to build up some data on these, since I'd suspect that (like the Hamilton's) it would have been a one-off production run, and all the movements should have a consistent serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    It's the first few numbers that are key, and that serial would be consistent with a A-11 spec movement made in 1943; if so, you'll find that it "hacks" as well (meaning the second hand will stop if you pull out the crown). There aren't a lot of records I can find around Waltham's as part of the lendlease; there were a bunch of hamilton's with 987a movements (which were the lower-quality Hamilton WWII watches) in cases very similar to yours though. The one shown over on the Vintage Watch forum (which is the same watch you'll find shown in a couple of other forums as well, and is somewhat of a rebuild) is the only other Waltham I've seen associated with this program, and notably it has a similar case and crown to the hamiltons. Yours has a similar case, but slightly different crown, but either could have been a replacement over the years. Same deal with the hands; yours and the one at VW have the same hands, but neither set matches the ones used on the A-11 or ord. watches, and the hands on yours are obviously either a replacement or at the least have been relumed. That's not uncommon; the original lume tends to flake off after a while, and you don't want little pieces of radioactive dust getting in to the movement. Lume on the dial tends to be more 'stable', so again not unreasonable for it to still be there. The dial looks like it has a fairly thick layer of nicotine on it.

If nothing else, the case is probably legit, and if the serial number is as you say, the weight of evidence swings towards the positive; details of the movement, inner caseback and mounting method will help. Probably asking too much, but if you get it serviced (which I hope you do), try to get a picture of the back of the dial; that sometimes has info (like dates or manufacturer marks) on it. It would be nice to build up some data on these, since I'd suspect that (like the Hamilton's) it would have been a one-off production run, and all the movements should have a consistent serial number.
    Thank you for that great insight! It is supposed to have been fully serviced prior to my purchase, but I fully intend to have the movement checked out when I recieve it. I would also love to try to restore it to the orginial as much as possible - so based on your comments it looks like I would need to find an original crown and hands? I'm assuming that is the most prudent course of action - I should have noted before that this is the first time I've purchased a watch such as this.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information