World War II Waltham with Russian engraving

Thread: World War II Waltham with Russian engraving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

World War II Waltham with Russian engraving

Hello - I recently acquired the below watch with a curious Russian engraving on the back. It seemed like a very cool piece of history - the American watch which helped the Allies win the war with a Russian engraving. I have heard rumors of American watches being given to Russian soldiers as some how affiliated with the FDR Lend-Lease program....anyone have further insight? Anyone offer a translation?

Name:  case.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  37.9 KBName:  face.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  46.6 KB

Re: World War II Waltham with Russian engraving

My folks are asleep. Their eye-sight is less than perfect. Will ask one of them to take a look at your pic. in a few hours when they wake up.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

YOu post the caseback and the dial, but no movement? You tease!

The dial doesn't conform to any US military specifications and the original ordinance watches were all subdial, not sweep, so I doubt it was purchased by the military directly. THe "USA" on the dial makes me think this was an export watch; you often saw that on watches sent to England. The serial number on the movement will tell us loads more, and a picture of the inside of the caseback might help too.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Answered by Tim on Vintage Watch Forums
    the translation is: "Геройскому народу СССР Рошен Уор Релиф США" - "To the heroic people of the USSR Russian War Relief USA".

Nice addition to your collection. The watches provided to Russia as part of the Lend Lease Act really are an interesting piece of history.
    Here's an example from a Hamilton War-Time production bulletin.

UNQUOTE

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - TIM -VWF
    Vintage Watch Forums • View topic - New Waltham World War II watch with Russian Engraving
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I'm a cynic by nature, and it's easy to engrave a caseback. Without a movement photo, I wouldn't be willing to accept that it was part of that program. I have difficulty believing the US would give Russia better watches then they were giving their own troops.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    I'm a cynic by nature, and it's easy to engrave a caseback. Without a movement photo, I wouldn't be willing to accept that it was part of that program. I have difficulty believing the US would give Russia better watches then they were giving their own troops.
    You'd be amazed what the U.S. gave to its allies as part of the Lend Lease program. And I don't just mean Russia and the U.S. government. To help with defending the British home-front, American citizens were urged by the U.S. government to donate any old but in working condition firearms to the cause. Americans gave generously. Very generously. Guns of all calibers, especially handguns were issued to British civilians who volunteered for the Home Guard. After the war was over, instead of collecting the firearms and putting them away in storage, in case they might be needed again someday, they were all destroyed. What a waste.

Watches, guns, even food supplies in many cases were given away through Lend Lease.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Truly, I hope in time you can change from a "cynic" to some one who can watch, wait and see.

This watch in my NON 'cynic' feeling is correct
    A
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    You'd be amazed what the U.S. gave to its allies as part of the Lend Lease program. And I don't just mean Russia and the U.S. government. To help with defending the British home-front, American citizens were urged by the U.S. government to donate any old but in working condition firearms to the cause. Americans gave generously. Very generously. Guns of all calibers, especially handguns were issued to British civilians who volunteered for the Home Guard. After the war was over, instead of collecting the firearms and putting them away in storage, in case they might be needed again someday, they were all destroyed. What a waste.

Watches, guns, even food supplies in many cases were given away through Lend Lease.
    Gave??
    Still give
    This watch is real

and
    Adam

Adam, what do you base your "feeling" on, other then an engraving? I've already given a very good reason why I don't think it's legit.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; June 19th, 2013 at 21:49.

Adam, what do you base your "feeling" on, other then an engraving? I've already given a very good reason why I don't think it's legit.
    I go on the belief that everyone is INNOCENT until proven GUILTY
    That said, in my experience this timepiece is biased to innocent (correct)
    You on the other hand are biased to guilty (IN correct)

I think this watch is 100% correct, you think NOT (with no reason but gut feel)

So lets see who is correct
    A

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information