The world's longest "quickie" renovation?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Henry Krinkle

Thread: The world's longest "quickie" renovation?

The world's longest "quickie" renovation?

I bought this Rado Diastar 10 Diamaster about a year and a half ago. Rado made 2000 of these between 1968 and 1972. They came with a white, black or blue dial. They are extremely rare and can fetch about as high a price as a vintage Rado goes for. I bought this one off ebay for about 5% of the highest price I have seen one go for.

The lightweight fishtail is in terrible condition and the watch itself is covered in decades of grime. TC can sometimes stain from this much garbage. The day wheel is lazy and doesn't actually display the day properly. The dial looks black but is actually. The dial looks like faded black but is actually the transparent blue variety. It once looked like this:

I managed to acquire a NOS Diamaster dial which cost roughly as much as I paid for the watch. I did a swap about 8 months ago. I can't remember where I put the old dial but it came out looking similar to this Disatar 14 dial:

No problem. A quickie job.
    During the swap I discovered that the day wheel was acting like it was because the dial spacer was missing and the entire surface of the day disc was covered in oil. I cleaned the disc and assembled the watch. I wore it once or twice but had not rebrushed the bracelet and had not put a new dial space in. I took it apart and then... left it. I finally got back to it this morning and here it is now:

The AS 1876 with pus button date advance:

PA110279 by hankblanc, on Flickr

This movement was used by Rado in the Diamasters and in the Diastar 8. It is notoriously finicky and is the only automatic movement Rado ever used that had an unsigned rotor.

P1012852_01 by hankblanc, on Flickr

I did not touch the caseback. It has never been polished and shows only moderate signs of wear. A clean with lemon juice and sea salt is all it got.

P1012848_01 by hankblanc, on Flickr

P1012846_01 by hankblanc, on Flickr

P1012845_01 by hankblanc, on Flickr

The tungsten case and the sapphire crystal both got a clean with a polishing compound and the case front is flawless. This is a bit unusual on a Diamaster. The flat surface on these monsters is huge and they often end up scuffed.

Thanks for looking.
    Tomcat1960, Mirius, Shum and 3 others like this.

Re: The world's longest "quickie" renovation?

Wow! Another hat-off-to-you story I'm grateful to read. Cool watch in great pics - and a renovation job that does it more than justice

Thank you for sharing that with us!

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

TC is a wonderful material for watch cases. The vintage ones often look almost NOS... I wonder why Rado was the main (and darn near only) user?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    TC is a wonderful material for watch cases. The vintage ones often look almost NOS... I wonder why Rado was the main (and darn near only) user?
    As I asked on another thread about this watch is it not quite heavy for watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post

There were more makers than you might think. Technos and Nivada made a lot, Louis Rossel made at least six wildly different models ( of which I have three) and Certina, Longines, Bulova and Seiko all made at least one.

Not as heavy as you think. The TC is more like a cover than it is the whole case.

Thread Information