Is it worth buying? Enicar

Thread: Is it worth buying? Enicar

Is it worth buying? Enicar

So I found this watch, an Enicar 1962 17 jewels Gold plated Incabloc Manual. Is it working, however the crown has a slight balance and gets loose so the hands can be moved accidentally. Therefore needs repair. Overall the watch seems to be in a good condition considering its age except that bite in the back case.

My question is if it's worth buying it and repair it, if can be repair? Maybe and advice of how would make this a good acquisition to worth repairing it.

Thanks

Name:  ee.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  410.6 KB
    Name:  e.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  738.2 KB
    Last edited by LoveSexAndDrugs; June 26th, 2013 at 02:12.

Re: Is it worth buying? Enicar

It could be the winding stem is worn down because of lack of lubricats over the years and needs replacing. Sometimes a bad stem can eat away at the watch itself and then you need to fit a oversized stem to correct the problem. But take it to a watchmaker and se what they say.

Can definately be repaired. Is it worth it? Depends on what you're looking for. Enicar was a good brand, and this looks like a decent watch. So compared to the cost of a comparable quality new watch (and depending on the price and if you know a decent watchmaker who doesn't overcharge), yes it's probably worth it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    the crown has a slight balance and gets loose so the hands can be moved accidentally.
    What do you mean by it 'has a slight balance?' This makes no sense to me.

'Bite in the case back?' I would be guessing from the photos what you are referring to.

I mean exactly like i was told by the seller. I was referring to the whole winding mechanism not just the crown itself. So i am thinking it does need a replacement. and the "bite" is the one on left side of the foto which can be clearly visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    What do you mean by it 'has a slight balance?' This makes no sense to me.

'Bite in the case back?' I would be guessing from the photos what you are referring to.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSexAndDrugs View Post
    I mean exactly like i was told by the seller. I was referring to the whole winding mechanism not just the crown itself. So i am thinking it does need a replacement. and the "bite" is the one on left side of the foto which can be clearly visible.
    It still makes no sense even if it came from the seller. I'm assuming that it means that the stem moves in and out since that is the only way that the hands could get moved. The most common cause for this has nothing to do with wear on the stem and is a simple and easy fix - but of course until the dial is removed nothing is certain.

That 'bite' is most likely to allow the caseback to be removed, but the photo isn't clear enough to me to see if it is or isn't.

As I wrote in the other Enicar thread, I happen to have the 25J AR 1010 version of this watch. The one in your photos seem like AR-1120 or 1140. In any case, the "bite", as Mirius said, is 100% normal. An interesting note: You'll notice that the diameter of the dial is a lot bigger than the diameter of the caseback, so in order to remove the movement, the crystal or bezel needs to be removed, and the movement will come out from the front. As for the crown, sounds like something wrong with the set lever, which can be out of place. if the set lever is intact, it's an easy fix.

I see thanks for the replies. That's what I though Mirius. It couldn't be any other explanation of what he meant with that phrase.

Thread Information