WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Worth fixing?

828 views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Old Navman 
#1 ·
I have this Hamilton Railway Special that runs but does not keep good time. Would it be worth the expense to have it repaired and if so suggestions on where to send it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Has sentimental value. Not a family heirloom. I would use it. Would be nice to know that I could recoup most of my investment should I decide to sell. I know there is crazing in the enamel on the face.

Paid $100 for it years ago.

#4 ·
Looks like a nice Hamilton with Montgomery dial with period fob. The dial appears to have some "issues". If made post 1918-20 :) probably 16 or 18s, adj 5 pos, with minimum 17j. If it holds sentimental value then definitely get it fixed, otherwise ask for a quotation before proceeding with repairs.

#13 ·
Yes, it's 992B.

Grade: 992B
Manufacturer: Hamilton
Manufacturer Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Movement Serial Number: C367655
Model: 5
Estimated Production Year: 1952
Run Quantity: 33,000
Total Production: 685,500
Size: 16s
Jewels: 21j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Movement Finish: Nickel
Movement Setting: Lever
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Adjusted: Yes
Adjusted # of Positions: 6
Adjusted to Temperature: Yes
Railroad Grade: Yes

#14 ·
Yes, it's 992B.

Manufacturer:Hamilton
Manufacturer Location:Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Movement Serial Number:C367655
Grade:992B
Model:5
Estimated Production Year:1952
Run Quantity:33,000
Total Production:685,500
Size:16s
Jewels:21j
Movement Configuration:Openface
Movement Finish:Nickel
Movement Setting:Lever
Plate:3/4 Plate
Adjusted:Yes
Adjusted # of Positions:6
Adjusted to Temperature:Yes
Railroad Grade:Yes
Wow thank you! So, even with the crazing I would use it and love it. I will contact Tick Tock and get an estimate.

I know to each his own, but what would you sink into it before it is not worth the expense? In other words, if it were up to you would you pursue it?

I appreciate everyone's input.

#15 ·
That's not an enamel dial. It's melamine, a form of plastic. Hamilton switched to Melamine dials in the late 40s, because they didn't crack like enamel. But they didn't test them for 60 years, of they'd have discovered the cracking/flaking problem.

This was one of their best movements, well-engineered, reliable, accurate.

My take on the cost of servicing it is that unless you're planning to sell it, it doesn't matter what the cost is relative to the market value. You can't get one of those new anymore, not for 50 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.