Worth repairing my Grandfather GP Gyromatic?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Worth repairing my Grandfather GP Gyromatic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worth repairing my Grandfather GP Gyromatic?

I did a bit of snooping on my own prior to coming here. The watch in question is a GP gyromatic that was purchased in 1952 by my grandmother to give to my grandfather as a wedding present. It is 17 jewels, with e movement they made from 50-54 IIRC. It has an expansion bracelet that I am assuming is not stock. It still runs if you handle it, but I am trying not to as that seems like a bad idea. The watch itself looks like it is in pretty bad shape. I do not have the proper tools to take the back off and I am somewhat afraid to do so.

Looking around it seems like this might take a lot to restore, and even then I am not sure if I would wear it, it is VERY small (31mm IIRC). I am a 24 y/o and while I do pretty well the $$ spent on this might just be spent on a new watch, which is something I also want.

Another question would be to where to do with it. I contacted the GP store in Manhattan (I work in Manhattan so my options are pretty good), and they said mail it to Switzerland (hell no); so I would like to hear anyone ideas of a reputable place in NYC to bring the watch to at least get an estimate. Following is a crappy pic to give you an idea of condition:

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Worth repairing my Grandfather GP Gyromatic?

Welcome to the Vintage forum. Goodness me! - we get them in far worse state than that here!! The crystal can easily be shined up and the case doesn't seem to be scratched seriously. If it runs, there is probably nothing wrong with it, i.e. it won't need parts replacement. It will need a good service, however, but this may be cheaper than you think, depending on who does it. If GP themselves do it, they will charge you an arm and a leg (the original companies always do - although it has to be said that they usually do an excellent job) but your friendly, independent, local watchmaker will be cheaper. Just make sure you see a watchmaker and not a jeweller or someone whose only experience in this department is changing batteries on quartz watches.

If you are not going to wear it, I would put off the service. A watch needs servicing once every 5-10 years, even if it isn't used. The oils dry out and the watch would be damaged if run on old lubricants. However, it is a nice family heirloom, worth keeping and, if you aren't going to use it, passing it on to the next generation.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to the Vintage forum. Goodness me! - we get them in far worse state than that here!! The crystal can easily be shined up and the case doesn't seem to be scratched seriously. If it runs, there is probably nothing wrong with it, i.e. it won't need parts replacement. It will need a good service, however, but this may be cheaper than you think, depending on who does it. If GP themselves do it, they will charge you an arm and a leg (the original companies always do - although it has to be said that they usually do an excellent job) but your friendly, independent, local watchmaker will be cheaper. Just make sure you see a watchmaker and not a jeweller or someone whose only experience in this department is changing batteries on quartz watches.

If you are not going to wear it, I would put off the service. A watch needs servicing once every 5-10 years, even if it isn't used. The oils dry out and the watch would be damaged if run on old lubricants. However, it is a nice family heirloom, worth keeping and, if you aren't going to use it, passing it on to the next generation.

Hartmut Richter
    Thank you very much for the reply. I found a store very close to my job Professional Watch Repair, Watch Repair Service Center NYC, Manhattan Watch Repair, NY - WatchRepairNY.com and I think I will take it for an estimate. If it is under $400 I will probably get it restored just to see the look on my Grandmother face :D

I am thinking of changing the band though. What do you think of a black calf with this?
    Turnaround likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Black calf strap will look classy. I would say go for it. You're doing it all for the right reasons as well.

A new crystal, abit of a polish up on the case and a service, along with a black calf strap, will give you a very nice wearable watch.
    All these should be well within you budget.
    I hope you go for it if only so you get to see the look on your Grandmothers face.
    Good luck
    fantasysage likes this.
    Bentima Star (Ultra Slim 50's)
    Sandoz (sub clone 2007)
    Ticin Chronograph (50's)
    Sea-Gull 1963 Re-issue (2011)
    Sekonda Deluxe (gold tone)(60's)
    Sekonda (23 jewel silver tone)(60's)
    Seiko Chronograph (Quartz 2005)

Banned

It's a great watch, and being that it's a heirloom, I would say definitely look into getting it fixed up. And like a above post stated the look on your grandmothers face will make it worth while. Can't wait to see it when it's finished!
    fantasysage likes this.

Thanks again for the info guys.

I plan on taking it tomorrow for an estimate. What should I ask for exactly? I figure coming out saying the proper terminology will make it easier. Right now I am assuming that I should ask for the movement to be cleaned, lubricated, and tested. The crystal to be buffed, the dial cleaned, and a new strap.

Am I missing anything?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would leave that bit about the dial cleaned out - the dial looks good enough and if you say that, you might get a redial (dial restored to look as close to the original A1 condition as possible) which lowers the value and costs rather more. Other than that, your terminology is correct. You will need the watch to be disassembled, the movement cleaned, relubricated and put together again. Plus the crystal buffed up or a new crystal put in if that is not possible.

Hartmut Richter
    fantasysage likes this.

I'll echo the sentiment to not have the dial touched. The dial is in good shape and a new crystal should be more than enough to bring the dial out.
    fantasysage likes this.

It seems the repair shop I went to echoed your sentiments about the dial. I am waiting to hear back from them on an estimate. Apparently it is running very fast as well, and it will need a new crystal, won't buff out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information