Would like some info on this watch
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pithy

Thread: Would like some info on this watch

Would like some info on this watch

So here's the latest to my collection my father passed away early this year the one thing that was handed down from my grand father to my father and now to me is this watch.
    I guess curiousity is bugging me on knowing how much this is worth. I guess for safety sake to know how well I should have this stored.
    I am not really phased if it's worth a great deal of money as the sentimental value will almost certainly outweigh its actual value

It has no markings except for the clasp which I tried to get a close up of. It says metal castle pat. 33
    It is obviously mechanical and I have only wound it a few times due to its age I am extremely wary of winding it too much. It does work but I have not tested it for accuracy. It's not really a watch I will ever wear as it's too small for my wrist and I wouldn't dare loose it.
    The casing separates from the watch itself so I went no further in opening it up.

Here's the photos and thanks for any info anyone can provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cannot seem to upload the photos.
    anyone who would be able to help identify what I have or know someone please contact me and I'll send the photos directly or I could try use another image host

Re: Would like some info on this watch

Photos showed up fine for me.

There's a lot of base metal showing through the gold covering, so it's not solid gold and you don't need to amend your insurance policy or anything.

The back of the movement would help others with identification, but I understand not taking it out if you're not confident. That last picture is 90% of the way there, though. It should just lift out of the back of the watch. A watchmaker would be able to open it up for pictures.

If you have no intention of wearing it, just keep it somewhere room temperature and dry. I daily one of the four watches I got from my grandfather, an 80's Timex, and I keep one in the safe just in case. Can very much understand you not wanting to lose this watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

@ tree fiddy
    busmatt likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

I feel rather silly not actually grabbing the movement and seeing if it came out.

15 jewels
    Swiss made
    Could this be the original movement?
    I would like to add we are talking very early 1900s late 1800s when my grandfather was around.
    It hasn't been warn since the 40s I believe. There were a lot of engravings. Very small to see with the eye with 2 letters and 4 numbers one I could see said tb9465

Another I can see really faintly and I could be wrong by eye
    5825 * wh752
    Wh758

C656skx
    A4360

Otherwise in the center of the the case it says

A.S
    Gold filled
    Guaranteed
    10 years

Very faint but I could just make it out.

Perhaps someone knows someone reputable in Sydney who could tell me what I have in my hands.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The scratched markings in the case back are likely service marks, where the watchmaker etched their own code into it so if a customer came back angry they'd know when they'd last worked on it.

If it's got that many, it was well cared for over its use.

As best I can tell, movement is an AS 340. (Kudos on the well focused shot of the movement so I could read the number.)
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 340

The markings on the balance cock match the 1930 version in fig 6 on the page and not the 1925 version in fig 1. At the same time, the winding works match the 1925 version. I don't see any other production dates on the page, so there isn't much to narrow its production date down past 1925 into the 1930's.

I was going to mention the 340 but I cannot remember why I didn't.
    Lucky it was a half decent shot. Surprised I got it focussed enough with the old iPhone 6

That could possibly be the time he acquired it. I have the story written down somewhere iirc he purchased or swapped something for it around that time with someone he worked with on the railway I believe. Would have to ask some older family members this week as it was 67 years before I was born.

Thread Information