Would it be unpleasant to wear this watch whose the gold-plating has come away from the back?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 2 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Would it be unpleasant to wear this watch whose the gold-plating has come away from the back?

Inactive

Would it be unpleasant to wear this watch whose the gold-plating has come away from the back?

This is going for pin money, and I find the dial and hands very striking

Name:  olma 1.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  16.3 KB

The back is in a terrible state. I'm not bothered by the looks but am wondering what it would be like to wear.

Name:  Olma 3.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  18.0 KB

The movement seems nicely shiny, and seller claims watch is working

Name:  olma2.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  45.1 KB

Would I have any affordable options re doing something about the back of the case?

Re: Would it be unpleasant to wear this watch whose the gold-plating has come away from the back?

I got one as well.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/fancy-olma-906048.html

You can use a starp that goes through both lugs so it doesn't touch the skin but I doubt you would feel anything at all.
    Der Amf likes this.

Re: Would it be unpleasant to wear this watch whose the gold-plating has come away from the back?

If you have metal allergies you might have a problem with etched thru plating. If not, you probably will not notice.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With base metal watches I usually put it on NATO strap or bund, so your skin does not come in direct contact with the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Having said that, it will probably exacerbate the problem since the strap will collect the sweat and corrode the case even more. Still, better to get some wear out of the watch that way than have it sit in the drawer, but if the wearer isn't allergic, it seems better to avoid a one-piece strap.

Hartmut Richter

That'd be one hell of a sweat to sink through two layers of NATO nylon for it to affect the caseback.

The caseback is already oxidized, and having sweat coming into direct contact with the caseback will cause the base metal to carbonate and creating a green layer, which will in turn be applied to your skin. Depending on the base metal material, it can be other colors as well.

I'd vote for a little separation.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

You've obviously never seen me sweat when I get going.....!!!

Hartmut Richter
    crazyfist and redcow like this.

Buy it and enjoy! If you fall in love with it getting a re-plate isn't outrageous either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    current collection: Omega Seamaster Deville 14k, Vintage Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Seiko Lord Marvel, Stowa Marine Automatic

Thread Information