WW1 Etonia Orama Swiss Made Silver Gents Watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Orbitalnewt

Thread: WW1 Etonia Orama Swiss Made Silver Gents Watch

WW1 Etonia Orama Swiss Made Silver Gents Watch

Hi all,
    I've had this watch for a long time. Can anyone tell me anything about it? There doesn't seem to be much on the internet about them. The front bezel screws off, the back plate also screws off. The strap is solid silver and hallmarked for Birmingham 1919 I believe but I reckon this was added later as the inside of the silver case says .935 and with no date letter so continental silver? The annoying thing is that the crown has always been broken at the stem I believe inside the watch? I've included a photo of the crown. I'd like to know, in anyone's opinion, if it would be worth paying to repair the crown and get the watch working again, if I were to sell it. Or would it just not be worth it. I think it's a fairly rare watch but I have no clue of value. ( I know it is difficult to value a watch and value is only what someone would pay.) But any information about the watch would be interesting, and if anyone has ever seen one before. Thanks in advance!

Attachment 14135997Name:  20190510_170346.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  2.67 MBName:  20190510_171012.jpg
Size:  2.79 MBName:  20190510_171017.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  2.90 MBName:  20190510_170403.jpg
Size:  2.81 MBName:  20190510_170337.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  2.99 MBAttachment 14136061Name:  20190510_170353.jpg
Size:  2.65 MB
    bubba48 and parrotandpitbull like this.

Re: WW1 Etonia Orama Swiss Made Silver Gents Watch

The strap is rather strange. It is to thin, I would think it should have a leather strap. Nice watch though.

Orama and Etonia were registered trademarks of Broadwest Watch Co. Ltd. Basel, Switzerland (reg.1928) so I'm guessing the watch was made around late 1920's -30'. If all it needs to work is the stem then perhaps I'd give it a go. While you at it you could get the hour hand re-lumed to match the existing lume. In the end I suppose it all depends how much it's going to cost you. Watchmaker's services are not cheap so I think if you can find a watchmaker who charges reasonable rates you'd be looking around 60-80 bucks for the stem, lume and labour. I'd leave the silver bracelet even though it might not be original to the watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is actually a pretty historic watch - one of the first wristwatches based on the appearance and hallmarks. From that, I would date it in the early 20's.

This Omega was often used in "trench watches" from WWI. Usually early wrist watches were usually based on women's-sized pocket watches with a dial rotated 90 degrees so the crown can be wound. Giving the dimensions would be helpful.

From the silver bracelet, this is one of the earliest watches targeted to women. So the bracelet makes it almost unique. Worth collecting if those characteristics strike your fancy. But selling it won't make you rich.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!