WW2 Pierce Parashock
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By creato

Thread: WW2 Pierce Parashock

WW2 Pierce Parashock

So I picked this watch up for next to nothing and was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about it as I don't know much about Pierce watches the seller said it was from the 1940's and military. It still runs and keeps time very well, attached are some pictures, Thank's, If pics are too small just right click and open in new tab.
    s.Name:  Pierce2.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  175.2 KBName:  Pierce.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  187.6 KB
    busmatt and kazrich like this.

Re: WW2 Pierce Parashock

I don't think it is military issue, but certainly could have been a soldier's private purchase. It lacks any military markings, or government contract marks.

The front of the watch sure looks like it's been through something, though. Interesting the dial states Fab Suisse and Made in Switzerland.

I think they mean the same thing.
    Last edited by marks55; July 28th, 2014 at 16:46.

The solid robust fitting of the buttom with srews is typical for pearce watches of this area. With the "little" second and the whole design I would not be surpriced when this watch was made before 1940. Millitary...I guess the same as marks55

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi
    Not sure why, but I could not find the patent.
    but, I am thinking that patent is for the screw down case.

Not sure
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Pierce was, in their heyday in the 1930s and 1940s, one of the largest independent watch producers in Switzerland. They were acclaimed for their interesting technical solutions working around the threat of patent infringement lawsuits - for instance, they invented and patented the vertical chronograph clutch, friction coupling for chronographs, a linear automatic - and an innovative system of water protection utilizing a lead sealing and screws to hold tight. (A similar system was used on military issue chronographs, but then with six screws.) Pierce, indeed, supplied watches to various militaries - first and foremost the Royal Air Force (pilots' watches) and the British Army (for their medical corps).

That said, I don't think your watch is of military provenance - as pointed out by marks55 there are no military markings (or any signs whatsoever) indicating that it was in use with armed forces anywhere. I can imagine it was sold to France - I learned, very recently, that the law in France expected watches not manufactured in France to be signed 'Fabriqué en ...', which could be shortened to 'Fab Suisse' in Swiss watches, due to the very limited 'real estate' on the dial. Why it still bears "Made in Switzerland" - hell, probably Pierce didn't feel like removing the standard text .

Anyway, an interesting timepiece. It deserves a decent service so it will continue to serve you very well.

Best regards
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Thank's for all the replies and the good info, I will defiantly be getting it serviced and maybe getting it restored depending on how much it would cost.

Thread Information