ww2 pocket watch
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ww2 pocket watch

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

ww2 pocket watch

d
    024 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6693062...in/photostream 023 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can i please have some ideas on this one,Was not sure which section to put it, German/Russian/ Swiss, or military i have heard all of the usual fake talk etc, from other forums, so i took it to a watchmaker, he formed the oppinion, that the decal symbols were included to the face at the same time as manufacture, and i got it from a guy who i always buy ww2 items from, but i am trying to identify the works, the back is engraved A.Moser&co so does anyone know was their anybody from the Moser company signing off watches under the name begining with A? or can anyone identify who might have made it, thanks in advance
    Last edited by neutral; September 28th, 2011 at 20:41.

Banned

Re: ww2 pocket watch

I may be wrong, but I think it is an "Ukrainian Special".
    I do not see why the best equipped arm of the German Forces would be equipped with a Pocket Watch. On a Wrist watch - yes, but Pocket Watch??

Strange!
    Do not forget that the WHOLE dial could have been done and aged, so the watchmakers opinion can be fully true.
    There is no such watch in Knirims book, as far as I know!

The movement seems to be of fairly low quality, and the hands seems not to match.
    Last edited by Janne; September 28th, 2011 at 20:58.

I'd be inclined to date the actual watch to closer to the turn of the century (maybe 1910/1920), but that doesn't really say anything. The decals may have been included at the time of the manufacture of the dial, and not necessarily the watch.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I own one A.Moser pocket watch,but a bit older then this on the photos.Yours look like civilian watch from 1930s or early '40's(chrome or chromed case,dial and hour hand style),but I dont think that this watch was mil issued watch.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Thanks everbody for your replies, it is strange because, i got this watch for next to nothing, as part of a lot, it included some very good artifacts from ww2, so i would imagine, if a faker went through all of the trouble to make the face up, that they would expect to catch someone for a good price. I am delighted to hear that their was watches made by an A.Moser i would love to see a picture of your watch jedanzoom? as i was starting to believe the engraving was faked as well, i will try get a picture up of his name engraving on my one in a little while.
    So It is possible that mine could well have been made as a once off for an officer, the lot included some photos of SS men i will keep researching, and i look foward to hearing from anyone with any oppinion, no matter what it is. Thanks again to you all.
    Last edited by neutral; September 28th, 2011 at 23:59.

Throughout the 20th century, there's always been a tendancy for watches to be personalized by their owners (or their owners friends) for commemorative purposes. Perhaps this was a family heirloom of a young SS soldier who had gotten promoted, and his friends or family had it modified as a present. Or maybe it was owed by a british punk in the 70's who thought it'd be edgy. It'd be like putting custom pinstripes on your car; without a paper trail of some sort, you'll probably never know.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

026 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's hard to photo the engraving, but i think it is clear enough

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Throughout the 20th century, there's always been a tendancy for watches to be personalized by their owners (or their owners friends) for commemorative purposes. Perhaps this was a family heirloom of a young SS soldier who had gotten promoted, and his friends or family had it modified as a present. Or maybe it was owed by a british punk in the 70's who thought it'd be edgy. It'd be like putting custom pinstripes on your car; without a paper trail of some sort, you'll probably never know.
    Yeah i agree with you on never fully knowing it's legitimacy,you are also probably not far off the mark,about it being a special commemorative piece, but i doubt the latter very much re the 70's punk.
    If i can prove who made the watch i would be happy enough, it will give me a rough guide price to ask for it. Moser is a good make if they are the ones who put it together, i would be delighted, any ideas on an asking price?
    Last edited by neutral; September 28th, 2011 at 23:54.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Moser & Co. was founded 1828 in St. Petersburg/Russia, in 1829 the company sets up a manufacture in Le Locle/Switzerland. No info that they produced watches for the SS adn to be honest: I doubt it.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Mike thats great info, much appreciated, what i really need to know is can it be identified as their watch, the engraving points to them, would fakers go through that trouble as well as to engrave it with A.Moser&co, putting the military symbols aside,and remember it was not sold to me for any more than 50euro, surely to have it engraved would nearly cost this amount, not forgetting the Swiss were neutral, so they could well have supported, or helped both sides during the war.
    Last edited by neutral; September 29th, 2011 at 01:00. Reason: important txt left out

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information