Wyler Incaflex Dynawind
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By roversgonemad

Thread: Wyler Incaflex Dynawind

Wyler Incaflex Dynawind

First off, this is my first post in the vintage forum, but I think this little watch fits here! A while back, my mother in law gave me a tin of old watches that had belonged to my father in law. Some were his, and some even belonged to his father. Unfortunately, the tin also had a piece of Civil War Vintage grape shot... So a 50mm diameter ball of steel did some bad things to a few of the watches. Luckily, this little Wyler was largely unscathed.

Upon initial inspection, the watch would run, but the second hand was very sluggish and would frequently stop. It did not have the 3 Hz tick you would expect. Unlike many of the other watches, there were no indications that the integrity of the crown had been breached (several of the others had seized crowns and some corrosion on the dial adjacent to the crown).

Like many Wyler watches, this has a monocoque case. After removing the bezel, crystal, retaining ring, and the crown, the movement was easily removed from the case. Inside the case there was no evidence of corrosion at all. In fact, the movement was very clean. I suspect the sluggish running was the result of the congealed oil from the last service. After a full tear-down and cleaning, it's once again running like a champ! The 2472 is really an attractive movement! The autowinding mechanism covers almost the entire back of the movement. The Wyler balance is interesting, with its spiral spokes. The design of the balance wheel makes it look like it's moving slower than it really is since the eye is really drawn to the spokes appearing to move in and out. After cleaning, it is as lively as an 18k bph balance can be

The case does have some wear, but nothing terrible. It still retains the original crown and crystal. My father in law was a welder, so the crystal does have a slag pit or two, but it only adds to the character. I polished the crystal, but only for legibility.

I am always amazed at the relatively diminutive size of vintage pieces. My father in law had about a 9 inch wrist, so this watch must have really seemed tiny on his wrist.

I'll apologize in advance for the quality of my pictures. I have never claimed to be a photographer!!

Here's the movement:

That's a 6497 movement in the shot, giving an idea of the size of the watch. The info on Ranfft says the 2472 is an 11.5''' movement, but it seems a tad smaller, maybe because of the design of the movement. It seems smaller than a 2824 or a 2836.

Here it is sitting the case prior to re-installing the crystal and movement retaining ring.

I don't have really large wrists, about 7-5/8 inch, but it looks small! The strap is a cheapo, and it begs for something a bit nicer.

And now, just for size comparison, here it is sitting on a 47mm watch, next to a sterile sub. The sub is just a hair over 40mm, not including the crown. The 47mm completely dwarfs this little watch!

All in all, a fun little watch. It fits well under the cuff of a shirt I would dare say it would even slip easily under a French cuff!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Wyler Incaflex Dynawind

Congratulations! What makes you thinkt it's an ETA 2472? Is there a stamp under the balance? There are smaller (10.5''') versions of that movement, e.g. the Cal. ETA 2450:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2456

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Congratulations! What makes you thinkt it's an ETA 2472? Is there a stamp under the balance? There are smaller (10.5''') versions of that movement, e.g. the Cal. ETA 2450:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 2456

Hartmut Richter
    It is marked under the balance. It has the ETA hallmark and the movement number in the usual ETA location. It has numerous Wyler engravings but the main plate has the standard ETA markings.

cheers!
    Last edited by roversgonemad; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:21. Reason: fixed a typo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice! She is super clean. I have always liked the date window on the bottom. Classic look, Congrats!

Yours has that same "Look" as mine. No date window on mine.
    I THINK mine is the ETA 2870 or 2871 ?

Name:  wyler mvmt.JPG
Views: 3832
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by howards4th; May 23rd, 2012 at 15:02. Reason: photo

The movement number will be just under the balance wheel. I really like the copper color of these Wyler movements. It's almost too bad that mine is a monocoque case... It would be nice to see the movement!

Thread Information