A Year in the Wilderness
Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By Sparcster
  • 1 Post By gatorcpa
  • 3 Post By gatorcpa

Thread: A Year in the Wilderness

A Year in the Wilderness

Wilderness... or house hunting!

Even though I have participated very little over the past year... it has not stopped me looking in to see what was going on. But me and my partner moved in with my family whilst we looked and saved for our first house.... watches were quite far down the pecking order!

However, the temptations of the bay were sometimes too much... im still surprised at how many watches sell each day at bargain prices (bargains in my eyes).

other than the few I have already posted, I thought it easiest (for me) just to put the rest in 1 thread.

Mostly Eterna's...

first.

Eterna very kindly confirmed the following:

Case No: 2796654
    Movement No: 2877872

Reference: 106BDT

Movement: Cal. 10 ½ ‘’’- 600

Year: 1941

second:

third:

'Golfer' pocket watch...

display back...

A £6 (delivered) rotary... sold as a ladies watch!

with inscription

the last of the watches is an odd one... just looked at what was finishing... think I was the only bidder... cost about £10.... just thought it looked interesting!

Most interesting though, is the back drop to the pics... 'Eterna Contact'.... which appears to be a monthly magazine supplied to retailers of Eterna watches. They start with Vol 1 Issue 2 (missing issue 1 ) in Feb 1959 and span through to 1961 (Vol 3 Issue 4). They are full of sellers tips, adverts, prices, info about the new ranges... and just snippets of info. Not had a proper chance to read through them properly yet... but spotted this interesting article about the history of the self wind watch... as they saw it!

anyone seen a 1785 selfwinding pocket watch? was a new one on me!

Also picked up a early retailers guide... which give standard prices for repairs and parts - including what you should charge for engraving... again very interesting (to me).

not my most exciting year in watches.... but interesting nonetheless!

Back to the hunt!
    radger, RTB, Tomcat1960 and 7 others like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: A Year in the Wilderness

Hi
    Yes I have seen it. It is owned and is in the Patek Philippe private Museum in Geneva. It is called the 'Leroy watchl' after the man that owned it.

The Eterna article on "The condensed history of the self winding watch" is full of inaccuracies, we have learnt a lot since 1959.

Regards'
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Unfortunately, the workmanship in the Harwood watches was not good enough to produce satisfactory results.
    Not sure what that author was talking about. I had my Harwood serviced by someone who knew how to service it properly (thank you, Adam). It produces extremely satisfactory results in comparison to other 1920's manual wind high-grade watches. I have also read in some articles that the movement only had a power reserve of 12 hours. Also not true, as mine is closer to 36 hours.

As I have said before, it is all in the watchmakers experience and skill.
    gatorcpa
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Not sure what that author was talking about. I had my Harwood serviced by someone who knew how to service it properly (thank you, Adam). It produces extremely satisfactory results in comparison to other 1920's manual wind high-grade watches. I have also read in some articles that the movement only had a power reserve of 12 hours. Also not true, as mine is closer to 36 hours.

As I have said before, it is all in the watchmakers experience and skill.
    gatorcpa
    Correct - thanks Gatorcpa you post!
    Actually that statement infuriated me. Complete nonsense.

John Harwood sold 34,000 pcs between 1926 anf 1933, in same period Rolex sold 9000 Oysters.

The 'bumper' movement was used by other great watch manufacturers like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Mido to name a few without issue.

Eterna?? They could not even be bothered to find out Harwoods first name - John
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 17th, 2014 at 23:55.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    The 'bumper' movement was used by other great watch manufacturers like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Mido to name a few without issue.
    And Eterna!

Just doesn't make sense.
    gatorcpa
    RTB, Tomcat1960 and bobbee like this.

LOL.
    HA HA,

and
    Adam

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Great thread Sparcster, good luck on the housing front.
    Love that "Insular Geneve", good strap choice. I see how you photographed it to show off the unusual dial, great shots.
    Intersting Eterna circular mag, it is bound to be a one-sided story in any company "pulp", but is informative and insightful nonetheless.
    Cheers, Bob.

Excellent finds. Beautifully finished vintage movements!

Really cool!
    Nice finds all of them. I especially like the Insular Geneve she is a very cool looking watch.

Regards,
    Chris

Thread Information