Yet another watch ID

Thread: Yet another watch ID

Yet another watch ID

I hope this is the right forum for hrlp in identifying a pocket watch. If not, my apologize.

I recently acquired and am trying to get info on a Girard Quartier
    Brenets (at least I think that is the name) pocket watch. It has porcelain face, a silver case, Roman numerals each atop a red dot, and Chaux de Fonds written on the face below Quartier Girard. The inside of each of the case covers also bears the number 309058. From my limited research, I understand that number might not mean much.

The back of the case bears rather nondescript information such as "16 Rubis" "Balancier Compense" "Remontier" "Spiral Breguet" "Ichaton" and "Ancre Ligne Droite". I would appreciate any help you could provide in further identifying this watch.

I've included a couple of blurry pictures. I've taken others but they appeared even less clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Yet another watch ID

It looks like a quality 19th century watch... well... Ray, we've run out of MY expertise!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Unfortunately the pictures aren't large enough to add much more than Eeeb has already posted. I'd say the movement is Swiss from the 1890s. The case number isn't useful but are there any hallmarks stamped on the inside of the case?
    Most of the French inscriptions describe a good quality stem wind Swiss lever movement made in La Chaux-de-Fonds. It's a gentleman's watch being in a hunter case. I don't know if the Girard brand is related to Girard-Perregaux or not.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I believe the watch also says 5 out of 77. I also believe stalin had one of these.
    Tudor Subs
    Bell and Ross 142
    3 or 4 Seiko 6309s
    Seiko 6105
    O&W M1

and too many others
    All my dive watches are pressure tested in the Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks for responses. I'll get some better pictures of the watch and post them....hopefully this weekend.

I'd be curious to find out why Frank19989 thinks Stalin had one of these.

Stalin had a Longines pocket watch he used to take out at meetings when a speaker went too long . :oops:

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hallo Busto,

I can tell you what I know about the brand, after my research. The firm made watches for foreign markets; I have seen watches by QG for Russian market and also for Arabic market. Brenets is the name of a village in Neuchatel, Switzerland, where watches and parts were made. "Edouard Quartier" is the name of the watch maker. Girard should be the name of the parts or clockwork supplier. Our Quartier has no relation to the Quartier brand of jewelery as far as I know. I dont know if Girard has anything to do with Girard Perregaux; I was not able to confirm or deny this.

In fact, its a very mysterious brand. Two mysteries:
    1) They made a watch for the last Tsaar of Russia:
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2445452
    I dont suppose Tsaars got their watches from just any brand, so it must have been quite exclusive back then.

2) There was a very famous Edouard Quartier-La Tente living in the Swiss in Neuchatel around the same time as our watches were made. He was the grand master of the freemasons - in fact one of the most important masons of all time - and memeber of the Supreme Council of the Swiss. Please see:
    http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/the_bu..._september.htm

Whether he was related to our watchmaking Edouard Quartier, I was not able to confirm or deny. On the other hand, I can most certainly confirm, that the brand symbols of Girard Quartier are freemason.

My own QG watch is probably from around 1887 - it has similar numerals to yours - only blue in colour. A watchmaker told me, that he has never seen anything like it before - it seems to be a unique design.

I hope this helps a bit, if you find out more information on the brand, please let me know.

Greetings,
    M.

I have taken off the glass before photographing the face. As you can see from the pictures, the clockwork is quite different from yours. I am always interested in learning details about the clockwork from experts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by measwel; April 5th, 2008 at 18:59.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

From what I can see (the pictures are after all a little blurred), it has a lever escapement rather than a cylindre escapement - which is confirmed by the "ancre" on the case. "Ichaton" should probably be "1 chaton". A chaton is a jewel (i.e. one of the anti-friction rubies in the movement) held by a separate gold fitting which is then not pressed into the movement but sits loose and is held down by separate screws (often blued). See any modern Adolf Lange & Söhne watch for some examples.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information