Young WIS joining! Mido Question

Thread: Young WIS joining! Mido Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Young WIS joining! Mido Question

Hey Guys!

My Name is Gaby and I'm from Puerto Rico. I'm 15 years old. I have some 13 watches including Rolex, Tissot, Omega, Mido etc. Just a small question, I got a Mido Multifort Powerwind that I got in eBay for $50... but I must say... those were most well spend $50 on my life. Just got back from an Overhaul and crystal replacement. Dial has never been refinished and it looks like new. It has a 917P PowerWind movement. I would like to know the year of manufacturer. Photos of the caseback below.

Some Pics!

:thanks:thanks

Gaby

Re: Young WIS joining! Mido Question

Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forum and WUS! I hope that you'll find this a pleasant and informative place.

Fifteen and already so many watches? Is there watchmaker blood in your family?

Very nice Mido. One of the others here will probably know more than I do, and will be able to help you out.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

First of all, welcome to the forum and WUS! I hope that you'll find this a pleasant and informative place.

Fifteen and already so many watches? Is there watchmaker blood in your family?

Very nice Mido. One of the others here will probably know more than I do, and will be able to help you out.

JohnF
    Thanks John!! No there's no watchmaker blood but one of my dad's cousin was a Watch store owner!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Congratulations - nice watch! The Mido Cal. 917 features in my new watch book (Christmas present from the wife). The base movement is by Adolf Schild. As far as I know, the 917 is the Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1192:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1192

and:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Mido_917

...and the 917P, 917R and other derivatives are Mido adaptations by changing the bumper winding to a full rotor:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Mido_917P

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Congratulations - nice watch! The Mido Cal. 917 features in my new watch book (Christmas present from the wife). The base movement is by Adolf Schild. As far as I know, the 917 is the Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1192:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1192

and:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Mido_917

...and the 917P, 917R and other derivatives are Mido adaptations by changing the bumper winding to a full rotor:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Mido_917P

Hartmut Richter

So Mido didn't make their own In-house movements? Thanks for the info!:thanks

Just want to say welcome to WUS and that Mido looks great on you. And I applaud your love of Mido enough to brand your call sign with the marque!

Great watch. The cases on those are excellent and of a beautiful design. The movement is very high-quality. From what I understand, the 917 series has a special regulator (Incastar), you can see the details at the (excellent!) Ranfft site.

Quote Originally Posted by waruilewi View Post
    Just want to say welcome to WUS and that Mido looks great on you. And I applaud your love of Mido enough to brand your call sign with the marque!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by timesofplenty View Post
    Great watch. The cases on those are excellent and of a beautiful design. The movement is very high-quality. From what I understand, the 917 series has a special regulator (Incastar), you can see the details at the (excellent!) Ranfft site.
    Wow thanks! Didn't know that my Mido had a very high quality movement!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If you mean totally from scratch, no external input, then, as far as I know, the answer is: No. Nevertheless, I'd say that this movement is distinctive enough to be more collectible than a standard AS calibre watch.

Hartmut Richter

Hi Gentlemen and HI Gaby:

Eventhough I´m not a Mido expert, I could say that in my experience it is a very respectable and mostly undervaluated brand, with some very pretty , rare and interesting vintage models.

I owe several , mostly with movements from other manufactures (mostly AS) , but I think the caliber found in their super chrono models MUlticenterchronos is at least unique in their own.
    (in -house caliber?)

BTW , you must be probably the younger vintage lover I ever heard. Congrats for your collection!!

Saludos desde la cd de México and if you speak Spanish we ´d love to hear from you in the Spanish Forum (Relosjes Especiales, subforo vintage).

Kingmatic
    Last edited by Kingmatic; January 28th, 2010 at 04:00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information