Your thoughts on this Vetta

Name:  12070884_1655545694729407_831198531_n.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  74.1 KB

Probably redialed.

I asked for another pics.

Ty

Edit: i find the "chonomètre" very weird
    Last edited by FrenchKiss; October 7th, 2015 at 20:23.

Re: Your thoughts on this Vetta

If a redial, then it's a very old redial... I haven't seen a Vetta before, so I have no idea how should a genuine one look. Maybe just like this one, maybe not. The minute track and numerals look good, so I really don't even pretend to know...
    FrenchKiss likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Chronomètre is just the french spelling of chronometer. As this would be a pre-COSC watch they were not so strict on the term. Also, the patina looks genuine to me, so I'd assume it's real.
    But that said, it's always good to get more pictures to compare, as it's easy to miss faults when you only have one to look at. So if the seller sends more, be sure to post them here.
    FrenchKiss likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Found this link here. In order to support sales in Italy, the name Vetta was added to Wyler (vetta = Italian for peak, top etc.)

Wyler Vetta Watches
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; October 8th, 2015 at 11:02.
    FrenchKiss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer29 View Post
    Chronomètre is just the french spelling of chronometer. As this would be a pre-COSC watch they were not so strict on the term. Also, the patina looks genuine to me, so I'd assume it's real.
    But that said, it's always good to get more pictures to compare, as it's easy to miss faults when you only have one to look at. So if the seller sends more, be sure to post them here.

I am saying this cause i saw Vetta with "Chronographo" on an other watch and not "Chronomètre"

I dont think it's a french brand.

BTW watch is sold but its interesting

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchKiss View Post
    I am saying this cause i saw Vetta with "Chronographo" on an other watch and not "Chronomètre"

Intersting it is. Of all Vetta trademarks in Mikrolisk, indeed there is not a single one registered in France. All are connected to Wyler... except for one, registered to a Perret & Berthoud of Geneve in 1929.
    FrenchKiss likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

You probably saw 'Cronografo' not 'Chronografo' on the watch. This is the Italian word for chronograph. A watch most likely made for the Italian market (you saw the info on the above link I gave with regards to Italy).
    FrenchKiss likes this.

Yeah, it's not a French watch as it says 'Swiss Made' on the bottom, but they speak French (and German) in Switzerland. I believe that most of the big watch companies were based in the French speaking part, so that's why you see some French terms used on vintage watches.

There are four official languages in Switzerland in the following order: German, French, Italian and Rhaeto-Romanic. They also have direct borders to Germany, France and Italy. The watch making industry was mainly in the French speaking part (Geneva etc.), but otherwise all over the country and many of them in the German part. Some companies moved from the French to the German regions and in smaller cities there, maily because labour cost became to high in Geneva. Taking aside the Rhaeto-Romanic, which is a Latin dialect only spoken in a small part (but with road signs etc. in that language), every Swiss national has to speak two of the three languages, so they all can communicate in at least one language. Besides that, they have hard to understand dialects, especially a variation of their German (Schwitzerdütsch). As the level especially of the Swiss German and Swiss French in the written form is very high and sometimes better than in Germany or France, combined with the need for excellent language skills in business correspondence, the bi-lingual secretaries (bi-lingual on highest level) are amongst the ones with the highest salaries and if they come up with all three languages (and English anyway), they can hardly be paid by smaller companies.

So what they would write on watches 'Made in Switzerland' is Chronometer (German), Chronomètre (French) and Cronometro (Italian). There is no such word as Chronometro.

I have worked in Switzerland (no, not as a secretary) and live today right across the border.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; October 9th, 2015 at 20:10.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Some Wyler Vetta ads.

Name:  1950 WYLER VETTA.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  58.0 KBName:  1950'S WYLER VETTA-1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  247.5 KBName:  1950'S WYLER VETTA-2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  235.8 KBName:  1955 MODEL CAR AND VETTA.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  328.0 KB
    FrenchKiss likes this.