Your thoughts on this vintage omega

Thread: Your thoughts on this vintage omega

Confused Your thoughts on this vintage omega

Like most of you here, i have been intrigued by Omega's from my childhood days and finally when i found enough change in the bank started making my wish come true. I have the PO Orange and the Black SMP. i am very much interested in adding a big vintage watch to the collection and dont have enough money to spare at the moment. I was a regular visitor to the forum and have just joined it. I have found the below mentioned watch on the For Sale section of the forum.

FS: Vintage Omega, 43.5mm, Now $325 (was $495)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...95-664600.html

It looks like a pocket watch conversion to me. The movement has omega etched on it but there are no serial numbers. Please let me know your thoughts on this before i think of buying it. I have asked for a picture of the caseback just to be sure. Thanks and looking forward to your help.please let nee know your thoughts. Had posted this on the omega forum as well. Thanks.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Space reserved for smart comment"

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean XL Orange
    Omega SMP 300m Bond Black on Omega rubber band (Stolen)
    IWC Pilot 3777 Chrono
    Rolex Daytona Black Dial
    Panerai historic boutique edition
    Cartier Santos 100 XL
    Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute
    Omega Seamaster Bullhead 2013 LE

Re: Your thoughts on this vintage omega

The watch has not sold for a reason....

The watch is a conversion as you say... the refinished dial is not the best!

To reply to your comment - big vintage watch - Big and vintage dont normally go hand in hand!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    The watch has not sold for a reason....

The watch is a conversion as you say... the refinished dial is not the best!

To reply to your comment - big vintage watch - Big and vintage dont normally go hand in hand!
    Thanks sparcster. Thought as much. however, do you think the movement is genuine?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IWC Pilot 3777 Chrono
    Rolex Daytona Black Dial
    Cartier Santos 100 XL

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes the movement is genuine. The serial number will be under the dial, which makes it in the 1910s or so (IIRC)

By this, I am in no way recommending a conversion watch like this. The balance staff will not take any significant knock.

Hi there,

it is pretty far from honesty to offer such botcher work as "vintage Omega".

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks trim and roland for your comments. I like large vintage watches and had some reservations about this one. I am a little confused as to what I need to do??

IWC Pilot 3777 Chrono
    Rolex Daytona Black Dial
    Cartier Santos 100 XL

Hi Tallboyr,

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboyr View Post
    I am a little confused as to what I need to do??
    As Sparcster pointed out, big and vintage is kind of contradiction, and trim suggested that pocket watch movements are the worst approach for a wrist watch (due to their big and heavy balances on tiny pivots without any shock protection).

Besides some very rare and accordingly very expensive examples, old big watches are either mariages or fakes, and almost allways cheaply made botcher work.

When wrist watches became popular in the beginning 20 century, poor people had their pocket watches converted to (big) wrist watches, and because they couldn't effort a new watch, these convertions were made with the least effort - cheap cases though, or wire lugs soldered to the pocket watch case.

And today botchers, preferably in the Ukraine, do the same, but with even less effort, and pretty strange taste.

Regardless whether you prefer an old conversion, or one from present "production", the result is a poor watch. So if you like it big and old-fashioned, better take a new watch with old fashioned design.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Last edited by Roland Ranfft; March 31st, 2012 at 03:36.

Thanks roland for your response. Much appreciated. your collective response helps me make a decision.

IWC Pilot 3777 Chrono
    Rolex Daytona Black Dial
    Cartier Santos 100 XL

Thread Information