You're Best Find Story... Plz share

Thread: You're Best Find Story... Plz share

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb You're Best Find Story... Plz share

Since I've been here at WUS the Vintage forum seems to be the place where Ray has to answer all the new peoples questions about what their watch is and how much it's worth. I figure it's time for him to take a break and get to read some great stories about your best watch find. The watch doesn't have to be expensive or even rare. What I would like to hear is finding a watch that you lost as a kid or finding a valuble watch at a garage/boot sale that was worth $$$.

I saw this post --> https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...97353#poststop and it really got me thinking that there has to be a great story behind it.

Me? No such great stories yet but I'm sure you guys have a few that everyone would like to read.

Re: You're Best Find Story... Plz share

I might as well start. About a year ago I came accross this auction on e#ay just a few minutes before the auction ended. The pictures were not very clear but I could see the watch was a highly jewelled english fusee. It was described as 'ticks a bit'.
    I was very excited and bid on the auction. I was very surprised when I won for @ $80, and that others did not see the potential of this watch. Here,s the sellers pictures.

Anyways, In my excitement I forgot to notice that the seller does not accept Paypal. With a heavy heart I wrote to the seller saying that he could offer the watch to the next lower bidder.
    Imagine my surprise and consternation when the seller filed an unpaid item claim!! Over the next few messages things did not move much. Then I suggested to him that he could join paypal and that would enable me to send him the money. He liked the suggestion and joined up.

The next problem was that he was uncomfortable with shipping the watch from the UK to India. So I had it delivered to my Aunt who lives in the UK. On her next visit to India when I got the watch, this is what I saw !!!!!

A seventeen jewel fusee drive movement!!!!!
    The watch did have some problems but I have managed to fix most of them with a lot of help from members of this excellent forum :thanks
    Also, i see that the seller offers paypal on all his auctions now . So, a happy ending for all.

Kind regards

Aditya

I only buy on ebay - I've never found a bargain in a shop or at a car boot sale. My best buy was a box of 100 broken watches, not sorted (see seller's picture), dating from a 1963. A jeweller's 'waiting for repair' stock. I took a risk, and bought the lot for £65. A lot of rubbish; a lot of incomplete watches - and 2 Rolexes.

My watchmaker wouldn't attempt the Oyster with a smashed face, so I ebayed it and got £400 in a flash. The other, solid silver co-branded & hallmarked for 1926, was fixed and cleaned up for £50. Some of the others have sold 'for repair' - including an incomplete Mimo direct read.

Mind you, I've bought some awful stuff since.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Probably this 1949 Bulova is my best find. I outsniped 2 vintage dealers on eBay and got it for $50. Mind you I put more than that into a service and new crystal for it.
    It's not a real expensive watch but it looks great when I wear it.
    And thanks Delta for the interesting thread suggestion.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

My best finds were actually given to me by an elderly lady friend. She told me she was cleaning out some old boxes, found some watches and asked if I would like them.

As you can imagine, (since I’m a member of this forum) I have never met a watch I didn’t like and I accepted them gratefully. The Illinois is a 1929 Finalist Deco and the pocket watch is a minute repeater that Ray and Helmut have helped identify it as being Swiss. The repeater needed both case work and some repair. Even though it was rather expensive it was well worth it. I had the Illinois serviced and it is running and keeping time.

Some great stories and some great pics as well. Hope this thread doesn't die. :(

I've tried to get the hang of working the camera I bought for my daughter but the goings slow but I hope to post a few of mine soon. Nothing special other than a mint 60's Vulcain, a early 70's doxa mechanical. I think if I could find a pocket watch like Aditya found I might go broke buying more. :)

What a great story Marrick !!! You´re lucky guy

What else do you already have from this treasure?

In my case, I should say that I have never bought a watch from Internet , instead almost all my pieces come from flea markets and a few by in site auctions.
    This one I show you has a special interest to me for several reasons; first I have a special "love" for Cyma and Tavannes, second I found it "sad and lonely " among a bunch of ! books and records !, and third costs only 20 bucks

it is signed 15 Jewels Ref .032 Cyma XX, and runs great !!

Have a nice day everyone!!

Saluds

Last edited by Kingmatic; March 31st, 2008 at 00:25. Reason: adding story and photo

Quote Originally Posted by 2DeltaFoxtrot View Post
    Some great stories and some great pics as well. Hope this thread doesn't die. :(

I've tried to get the hang of working the camera I bought for my daughter but the goings slow but I hope to post a few of mine soon. Nothing special other than a mint 60's Vulcain, a early 70's doxa mechanical. I think if I could find a pocket watch like Aditya found I might go broke buying more. :)
    Well, here's another story to keep your thread alive

some time ago I got a J W Benson watch. I found this watch to have a problematic centre wheel. (sellers pic)

At that time I did not have the tools or know-how to fix it. So I looked for a donor watch on e#ay. This one had the worst pictures ever. However, I had the seller read all the markings and it seemed to be a match. (sellers pic)

When it came the horribly rusted hands just crumbled. the crystal is plastic and yellowed. I also noticed that it was a size smaller than my first watch .

But apart from that all watch no.2 needed was a service!! Also, I had a spare set of hands from another junk movement.

Meanwhile, I aquired a staking set and fixed watch no1 (with a lot of help from the nice people here )!!

So for a total outlay of about GBP 120 (not including the staking set) I now have two working benson watches!!

These two together would otherwise have cost about GBP 400-500.

I am truly grateful to all the wonderful people here at WUS who make it possible for me to enjoy these old jewels :thanks

Kind regards

Aditya

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmatic View Post
    What a great story Marrick !!! You´re lucky guy

What else do you already have from this treasure?

Saluds
    Not much. I've sold a load of the broken ladies watches - for very little. I like this Tavannes (as I'm sure you will) - but its missing its stem and winder:

Cheers!

I buy virtually all my watches from boot sales /antique markets.

Best buys so far have been a 1946 IWC cal 88 for £3.

and wartime Longines Weems for £2

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information