Yule present and one for the ladies...

Thread: Yule present and one for the ladies...

Banned

Yule present and one for the ladies...

Here's one I got on Saturday from my in-laws. It's a no name 15 jewel with a copper dial. I never would have picked a copper dial in my life, but now that I've gotten it as a gift, I think it looks kind of cool. It came on a black leather strap, but I soon switched it out with this NOS Guss military strap from the '40's/50's. I am at work and don't have my case back wrench, so I'll have to post photos of the motor later.

And here's one that my Mum asked me to work on. It's a family heirloom, the problem is that no one remembers exactly who from the family it belonged to. It's a 1920's(?) Metro, white gold with a blue glass bead on the crown. It's really detailed and has a beautiful rose relief on the dial around the hands.

If you also received a vintage for Yule, please post it. I'd love to see them.

Happiest of New Years coming up!
    Last edited by Oracle; December 27th, 2010 at 22:37.

Re: Yule present and one for the ladies...

Both very nice.

I've not heard of Metro. Google tells me that there was a Metropolitan (aka Metro) Watch Company of New York. A few pocket watches come up with that name - including some 'Swiss Fakes'. Apparently owned by a Louis Cohen Official gazette of the United ... - Google Books

So it would have been an importer of watches for the US market. I'd agree 1920's.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Banned

Thanks for the info.
    I too tried to find out more about the Metro, but there's not a lot of info on them. There are some others for sale on Ebay or auction houses, but not quite like this style.

I should mention that it's quite large for a vintage ladies watch at 26mm, 30mm w/crown. I'm pretty sure that that is also the original ribbon strap and buckle.

The balance staff is broken on it, and I don't have a staking set, so I'm not sure if I'll get around to restoring it anytime soon.

Cheers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I should mention that it's quite large for a vintage ladies watch at 26mm, 30mm w/crown. I'm pretty sure that that is also the original ribbon strap and buckle.
    The strap is probably Grosgrain:

Grosgrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I too tried to find out more about the Metro, but there's not a lot of info on them. There are some others for sale on Ebay or auction houses, but not quite like this style.

The balance staff is broken on it, and I don't have a staking set, so I'm not sure if I'll get around to restoring it anytime soon.
    Cheers!
    Its definately worth restoring the vintage ribbon that Marrick identifies as Grosgrain is available so you could get it restored to a very high standard.

Thread Information