Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007
  • 1 Post By SilkeN
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob
  • 3 Post By radger

Thread: Zenith 18-21-1T with "cyclops" bridge variation

Zenith 18-21-1T with "cyclops" bridge variation

The N.V.S.I or Ref. 18-21-XX is the typical pocket watch movement for "normal" pocket watches build between 1905 and 1955. Here are a nice Trio out of the middle of this aera:

Name:  SAM_3344.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  131.8 KB

THe watch in the middel I want to introduce. On the movement I can read 18-21-1T. The 1 usually stands for the old movement with split bridge and the T for the negative winding (american winding) as it is here. Depending on the movement number it should build around 1936/40. Very amusing is the style of the bridges and I've never seen this before.

Name:  Zentieszyclob.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  99.9 KB

Does anyone has any idea why they build it in this way? The watch itself is in a steel case and I can't find any hints that this is different in any way to a usual butter& bread Zenith during this period.

The "nomal" designs (old and new) is in this way:
    Name:  SAM_3346.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  147.8 KB

on the right side is one out of Basacon where they obviously don't change their bridge design to a closed bridge.

KInd regards Silke and I hope you enjoy this simple but good quality pocket watches
    Last edited by SilkeN; October 19th, 2014 at 22:04.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Re: Zenith 18-21-1T with "cyclops" bridge variation

Easier to service and hand manufacture.
    Each wheel has its own bridge?
    Just a thought.
    SilkeN likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Nice thought Adam but than it was a "try and error" because I there excist a high amound of older and younger Pocket watches with the common bridge design. My thoughts go more in the direction that this might be a basis for complications in other watches and this was something of a remaining stock. The second weel get's a single bridge. The third weel walks under the 'half platine' which is bigger now. But I've no idea where this construction makes sence or if I'm on a complete wrong track. I didn't found any match.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; October 19th, 2014 at 22:29.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, best I could think of
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Probably Adam your guess is right. This just come in (sorry about the dirt).

Name:  Zenithclicktula.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  102.7 KB

I thought it was a smaler quite early Zenith Anker. But other bridge design, other untypical click and Zenith written on the "wrong" bridge but I guess orginal. I'll see the movementnumber when I clean it but I guess this watch is around 1910/15. On the dustcover the medal win 1900 is mentioned. May be they just try some different variations for the market. In former times I guess seller always look for the movements even if they've less knowledge. This is the only explanation why so many one side stoned movements and pseudochartons etc. excists.

I always search a significant reason. Probably its just try and error about customers taste.

Kind regards Silke
    RTB likes this.

Interesting
    Thanks
    a

and
    Adam

Possibly a bridge version that would allow sweep second addition? Having the third wheel and second wheel on the same plate would make it a bit easier to implement...
    SilkeN likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

is just a thought but maybe provided by third parties and branded Zenith for the market?
    regards enrico

Quite an unusual bridge variation in that the third wheel is mounted on the barrel bridge, you don't see many.

I have a wristwatch from the twenties with the third wheel on the barrel bridge, I don't know why, it's not the usual way at all.

eri231, SilkeN and RTB like this.

Oh its really a lot happen here . Thank you for your thoughts. May be it was a test for adding a sweep second on another way. Unfortunately sweep seconds are quite rare by standart Zeniths and I didn't own one. I've seen two indirect ones out of this aera by friends and in fact they exist on the basis of a N.V.S.I with the bridge form like the besancon one. At the moment I'll discribe the "cycolp" as a rare bridgeform with unknown sence. May be a customers test or demand of the research studio and they produce a complete run of them and sell the rest. It might possible that the explanation will find by the time. Until now its the only one I've seen and so many partsare typical for Zenith that I still thing its complete orginal.
    Ash on my head about the second one. The first thought was the right one. Unfortenately I was very frustratet as I saw details I didn't expect and my temper turened of the brain. The basic mistake was that I thougt the movement was out of the aera 1910/15 and I compared it with the N.V.S.I. But its older and I'm very very happy now. This one still owns a lot of components from the previous defi movement but its an quite early zenith movement around 1900 max. 1902. When I've time and rest this week end I'll post it thought out in the Zenith section where I startet a thread about this question some months ago. Sorry about my emotional uncontrolled posting with wrong data.

KInd regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; October 23rd, 2014 at 18:52.

Thread Information