Zenith 1970
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Zenith 1970

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Zenith 1970

Guys,

My name is Francisco. I am from Portugal and this is my first post.

I recently bought this watch at a auction and was wondering if you know the history behind the fact that this zenith has a different logo from the normal star (used by zenith)?

My search showed me that it could be related to the Zenith/Movado partnership a while back but I am not sure.

Thank you

Francisco

Name:  zenith.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  115.8 KB
    JP71624 and georges zaslavsky like this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith 1970

Welcome to the Vintage forum. That symbol is not so much related to the Zenith-Movado-Mondia partnership as with Zenith Electronics Corporation's acquisition of the three. This started in 1972 and lasted until 1978. The symbol remained after that. At the same time, the case serial number (at that time something like ###E### with the # being numerals) on the back was dropped in favour of the modern reference number system ##.####.### which I would expect yours to have. If you tell me the last three digits, I can tell you the movement.

Hartmut Richter
    JP71624 likes this.

Congrats and what Hartmut said about the logo. They is a good story on the Zenith website about someone at zenith taken all the equipment just before the US company took over.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the reply. I am waiting for the arrival of the watch in the post. I will tell you the last three digits as soon as I receive it.

I will post some pics too!

Francisco

enjoy and welcome
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Hartmut
    Reference number of the watch: 40.1380.380

Appreciate your help identifying the movement.

Thank you

Cal. 2572 PC from the mid 1970s. The equipment wasn't taken by someone before it was trashed, it was hidden on the premises by Charlie Vermot. Zenith still have the capability of making the Cal. 2572 PC (which they did recently, releasing a range of watches with that movement: Zenith Heritage Port Royal, unfortunately no longer with "380" in the reference number but with "2572" instead!).

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut,

Thank you for the info. And what is your opinion on the movement? Is it good quality and reliable?

Cheers

Francisco

Very good quality. A reliable "tractor" - not very slim and elegant but it does what it is supposed to do: keep chronometric time and not break down. About the only thing it could be improved with is a ball bearing for the rotor.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Very good quality. A reliable "tractor" - not very slim and elegant but it does what it is supposed to do: keep chronometric time and not break down. About the only thing it could be improved with is a ball bearing for the rotor.....

Hartmut Richter
    Hartmut, cal. 2552 PC and upwards do have a ball bearing for the rotor.

Cal. 2572 PC is very good but IMHO cal. 2552 PC and 2562 PC were better; it seems to me that cal. 2572 PC is mainly a cheaper version (17 jewels instead of 23 jewels, micrometer regulator instead of excenter regulator). However cal. 2572 PC does have the advantage of date quickset in the third position of the crown (which its predecessors didn't have).
    Last edited by sempervivens; July 12th, 2013 at 11:41.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information