Zenith 8 3/4f help with case ID
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Zenith 8 3/4f help with case ID

Zenith 8 3/4f help with case ID

Hello all,
    My friend pointed this watch out to me the other day. The auction listing had very little info, and only a few poor photos. I took a gamble...got it in the mail today. I know the dial is new I'm guessing, and so are the hands. But, I believe the Zenith 8 3/4f movement looks good. Can anyone for any certainty tell me if this case and movement belong together? The caseback serial number is original to the front, the last 3 digits of the case number are stamped into the inside front as well.
    The only things that are throwing me for a curve as well, is this came inside the Eberhard box, with an Eberhard winding crown, and an Eberhard buckle. Extra bonus for me! Just hoping to hear what you all think of this, and is this a Zenith case?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith 8 3/4f help with case ID

I'm sorry but I think it's a frankenwatch. For a start, the case was made by J Breguet-Breting of Biel (or his successors). The second thing is that a real Zenith case should have the Zenith logo inside. Rather like mine:

Name:  Zenith Tank 3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  113.8 KB

Thirdly, I know of absolutely no connection between Zenith and Eberhard (there was such a connection between Zenith and Favre-Leuba) so IMO, the Eberhard crown, buckle and even box have no business being associated with that movement and dial. It is my guess that the movement was trashed so that someone took a movement of the same proportions with a dial that matched the movement and bunged it in that case. Any 8.75x12''' movement that's not too thick should fit and there are plenty to choose from. Or if you want to take the reverse view: the Zenith case was trashed and someone wanted a new one for the movement - and there are even more 8.75x12''' movement cases about!!

Hartmut Richter
    marks55 likes this.

Thanks Hartmut, I wasn't implying that the Eberhard components were original to it, just that it is how it came to me. I couldn't find any connection as well. I just was not sure if the case was semi-original to the movement. My previous Zenith's all had marked cases, just was not certain on this case. It fits rather nicely, but probably originally had a solid gold case that had been melted. What is your opinion on the hands and dial? Certainly new aren't they?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'd say that the dial has been refreshed. The hands? They look almost plausible (the style is about right for that period but I can't remember seeing them on a Zenith) but it looks a little as if the tips have been messed about with (cut off or something likel that). So: my verdict is that you are right on both those counts as well.

Hartmut Richter
    gagauz likes this.

Somewhere out there is an Eberhard with a Zenith crown in a Zenith box.......
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by marks55 View Post
    Somewhere out there is an Eberhard with a Zenith crown in a Zenith box.......
    Probably......lol

Thread Information