Zenith double hunter pocket watch

Thread: Zenith double hunter pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zenith double hunter pocket watch

I have recently had a Zenith watch handed down to me by my father. It was my great-grandfathers and I am trying to find out what it exactly is and what its production date may be. It has a number stamped into all 3 covers - 274198. On the mechanism it has the Swiss cross and the numbers 14447 below it. The face has the name Novoris on it. Do any of these numbers identify production? I know it is prior to 1904 because it has his initials and 1/1/1904 on the inside front cover. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Re: Zenith double hunter pocket watch

I don't think any of these numbers are useful aside from the date but Hartmut Richter is our Zenith expert and we'll know more when he comes by this forum.
    The number with the Swiss cross is probably a patent number.
    It would be good if you posted some pictures. That is the best way for us to help.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; September 26th, 2008 at 02:13.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Here are some photos of the afore mentioned watch. Thanks for your interest Ron.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Strange looking dial you have here.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

This one looks to me like a 20th century watch. Are you sure it's a Zenith? They usually have their name on the movement except for very early ones. Hartmut may know more.
    I agree the dial is unusual. Quite modern actually.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The interior of both the front and rear covers have this logo stamped into it.

Ron,
    The interior of both the front and rear covers have this logo on them.

This case donesn't belong to this movement,neither the dial,so U shouldn't lean on those when trying to identify this monster.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am not exactly sure about this one. I also think that the dial style is not really ca. 1900. Also, I can't place the name "Novoris". However, I do know that George Favre-Jacot used a variety of names for his watches and that this may have been one of them.

The case is definitely Zenith, the movement isn't really - it is a "Billodes" movement. We recently had a few on this forum; in case you're wondering, "Billodes" (named after the town in France, just across the border from Le Locle, where Zenith are located) is another name for the "pre-Zenith" Zeniths (!) and is also a place where Zenith made movements that were distinct from the ones made in Le Locle and marketed under the name Zenith. Here is a link to your movement; it is in the "Billodes" collection picture, middle row on the left:

http://monsite.wanadoo.fr/zenhitsite/page7.html

I would also think that the date is around 1900.

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut,
    Thank you for your investigation. I will continue to research the dial as to its authenticity, it may well be a replacement. If it is, would it best to try finding an original and have it replaced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information