Zenith Swiss Made - Newbie collector

Thread: Zenith Swiss Made - Newbie collector

Zenith Swiss Made - Newbie collector

Hello everyone, just found the site trying to find out more information on this watch i have acquired. Could anyone take a look at these horrible pictures and tell me anything about this watch. You cant see it in the picture but the face has Zenith just under 12. Of course the inner case has Swiss made on it with some numbers (9577020) that do not match the serial number on the movement (5188090) there is also another number located on one of the cover plates ( 177-6 ) not sure if that helps or not. I found the watch in Adana, Turkey and wanted to know if this watch is real or just a good fake. Seems like a lot of the items here in Turkey are re-made or copies of original companies. The watch keeps time to the minute so far, the case is in decent condition ( I think ) All the inner workings are in great shape! The crystal has small scratches (nothing impeding your view) Only problem I see with it is the winding stem has had a repair done to it, and the dial itself looks like there could of been water dmg to it.

I am sorry the pictures are so bad. not sure what is wrong with the camera (normally takes good pictures) If the pictures are a problem let me know and i will try and get better ones for you.

If you could give me the est. year it was made, and let me know if the $200.00 us dollars I spent on it was worth it. I like it but I hope it isnt a fake or copy.

Also has anyone ever heard of Helbros? Just received a Helbros watch from a friend to "expand" my new hobby.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith Swiss Made - Newbie collector

First of all, welcome. I am sorry but I cannot say anything definite without some better, clearer pictures. All I can state is that the movement is genuine. Whether the watch has been tampered with (real movement in fake case, etc.) is not possible to say without better pictures.

However, from the evidence you have presented, I can state the following. The movement is a genuine Zenith Cal. 177-6. The -6 suffix means that it has Incabloc shock proofing and, although the 177 series was made for quite some time, the 177-6 was only made in 1962 according to the Zenith lists. This matches with the serial number on the movement which places the watch in the early sixties. The movement should be 17''' across (equates to 38mm).

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the info. Dating it is what i really needed. I will post better pictures here soon. I am sorry I forgot to put the movement diam. on here...yes it is 38mm. Thanks for the information you have given me so far.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Somewhere on Zenith's site is a link where you can submit a request for info on your vintage watch. It's been a while so I can't remember exactly where on their site this link is. They reply pretty fast, about a week. All you need is the movement serial #. Good luck!

Thread Information