Zenith vintage rare case

Thread: Zenith vintage rare case

Zenith vintage rare case

Hi folks,
    I have doubts about what to do with this really old zenith. I love the signs of time but the dial is really in to a poor condition.
    The case is the weirdest I have ever seen and the movement is very clean.
    Should I go for a dial restoration or leave it just like it is?
    Any suggestion welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by alvaropinto; October 12th, 2011 at 21:39.
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Zenith vintage rare case

What a strange watch. Cal. 8 3/4 F from the early thirties. From here, it looks as if the movement has been tampered with - the yellowish stripe at the left with the word "Zenith" blackened in should not be original. Or is that just a lighting effect?!

As for the dial, it has gone somewhat too far for my taste to leave it in that condition. Since the rest of the watch will clean up nicely, I would have the dial done up too. Still, this is entirely a matter of personal taste and others will come and lynch me for the suggestion! Up to you.

Hartmut Richter

Yes, the yellow stripe along the Zenith word looks weird, I would say it's some sort of paint as it is present at the edge of the other bridge as well.
    As for the rest, the case is totally sign and the two digits "67" matches on both back and front...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I vote to keep the dial original. It is still legible and would probably respond OK to some light cleaning.

Worth a try anyway if the cleaning goes wrong you can always go forward with dial restoration.

pej

I bet that dial will clean op a lot by just using some rodico, then some silver/jeweler's dip. Be careful tho, dipping it for too long will destroy the writing.
    It won't become perfect, but should become usable - I'd prefer a usable original dial over a refinish anytime. And it's cheaper too!

Tip: Put the dial under your scanner before proceeding with the dip. If the writing will be destroyed, you'll have some highly detailed reference material for a refinish ;)

Quote Originally Posted by alvaropinto View Post
    Yes, the yellow stripe along the Zenith word looks weird, I would say it's some sort of paint as it is present at the edge of the other bridge as well.
    Really? My first thought was just that someone took a dremel to it and stripped off the nickle plating, exposing the brass..
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I went into a close look and you are absolutely right! Nevertheless the movement is in great shape!
    Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Really? My first thought was just that someone took a dremel to it and stripped off the nickle plating, exposing the brass..
    Attention!!
    Non english speaker.

Thread Information