~1941 Elgin: Help identifying and valueing

Thread: ~1941 Elgin: Help identifying and valueing

~1941 Elgin: Help identifying and valueing

I've had this watch for a while and have never given it much thought until recently. I've kinda gotten the "nicer" watch bug and been lurking and trying to familiarize myself with the wealth of knowledge you guys have here.

Anyway on to the good stuff. So this is my late grandfathers watch from when he graduated High School as an honor student... at least that's the story I've heard, and was given to me by my mom when I graduated. I know styles were much different back then but it looks kinda feminine and I can't find any indication of whether it's a Lord or Lady Elgin, which is what I can gather should be the case from a few google searches.

I never got the chance to meet him as he passed away from leukemia when my mother was 11. I'm not interested in selling it or anything, just curious as to what he had and passed down.

Thanks for the help. (not really sure what angles will help the best so here's one to start off, just let me know if any other angle would be better)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9-...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by 191ga; July 27th, 2014 at 22:41. Reason: spelling

Re: ~1941 Elgin: Help identifying and valueing

Hi,

Not sure on the value but you have the date right. Your watch looks to be described as a drivers watch. Housing a cal. 554 15 jewel movement.
    You can see a very similar watch to yours 3rd pic down on this link here...

Vintage Watch Forums :: View topic - Elgin Drivers' Watches, at a glance

And here is some info on the movement...

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Elgin 554

Lovely watch btw. Best way to attain current value is to check sales on ebay.

Regards

Great info. Thanks for the help. Still seems to work great although I've read that I should have it serviced before any major use.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, sorry, not a 'drivers watch'. That description refers inaccurately to smaller mens' watches with hinged lugs, like the ones in the thread James A. linked to. This watch lacks the hinged lugs.

Elgin never called this style 'Drivers Watches'. There was a Gruen Curvex that was severely curve designed to be worn on the side of the wrist, to be visible while driving, as well as Elgin's Ristflo.

It definitely is a man's watch. That was the style back in that day - watches for men were much smaller, but the generation who fought and won WWII didn't think they were effeminate. Ladies watches of that era, through the 1960s were TINY - as in movements smaller than a dime. I can't find it in any Elgin catalog from 1939-1942, so it's possible the watch is from earlier. If it's from before 1940, it will likely have one of the earlier 8/0 sized movements, the 15j 519 or the 7j 526. Can't tell without opening it.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thread Information