A Carib in the Caribbean....... - Page 2

Thread: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13,994

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Searambler View Post
    Jason, are you boat diving or shore diving? Reason I ask is, if you're boat diving, I'm curious to know what the other divers and the dive master thinks of the guy who shows up to dive every day with a different watch........!

    (Bet they're jealous as hell!)

    More cool pics, keep 'em coming!

    Paul
    I am glad you asked Paul

    Bonaire is well known for its shore diving. IMHO it is the only way to dive Bonaire. You can go at your own pace, do as many dives as you choose. Most of the outfits that you book with include a 4-door pickup with the package. Very easy access to most of the dive sites with a pickup truck and a map. Most of the sites are not even but 50-100ft from shore, so it is an easy swim out.

    There is an exception. If you are going to try and dive the windward side of the island (the east side). Or if you wish to dive Klein Bonaire (a small island right off the west coast of the island).

    Sorry I am rambling. We have only done shore diving. We have done 9 dives during the day, and 3 night dives to total 12. I hope to do 3 more day dives tomorrow, but we have to be done by 3pm. (fly out the next day at 3:10pm) Not sure if I can convince the wife to go for 3. she probably will only do 2 more
    Last edited by Jason71; August 17th, 2007 at 13:07. Reason: Clarification
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  2. #12
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    I was wondering the same thing as Searambler. The shore diving looks like a blast and I've enjoyed all the pics, especially the ones of the squid.

    By shore diving, what kind of depths and bottom times are you getting? Does the bottom descend gradually or does it drop like a wall?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  3. #13
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13,994

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    I was wondering the same thing as Searambler. The shore diving looks like a blast and I've enjoyed all the pics, especially the ones of the squid.

    By shore diving, what kind of depths and bottom times are you getting? Does the bottom descend gradually or does it drop like a wall?
    Ty, you have to go. YOU WOULD LOVE IT!! It is fairly inexpensive also. Most packages are unlimited shore, so you can dive 15 or 25 times and it is the same price.

    It is more wall-like. It is not a sheer drop-off, but it is definitely not a gradual drop. Most of the time it drops at about 25-30 feet and drops down to anywhere from 70 to 150 feet before it planes out again.

    Bottom time. We usually level out at about 60feet and swim into the current. We go to ~1500psi and turn and swim with the current (if there is any) at about 35-40feet. This usually gets us back to where we parked (give or take). Most of our dives have been right around an hour. Tonight we leveled at 40 feet, made the turn and swam back at 25feet. My wife was having so much fun we stayed for ~70min.........

    She was using her divelight to spot little fish and there were two tarpon (one was about 4.5 feet) that were swimming within arms length and feeding. It was a blast. They hung around for over half the dive........
    Last edited by Jason71; August 17th, 2007 at 03:59.
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13,994

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by cfugunt View Post
    Nice picks Jason...Chris
    Thanks Chris!! And thanks for the help this week to give me a much needed vacation
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  6. #15
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Ty, you have to go. YOU WOULD LOVE IT!! It is fairly inexpensive also. Most packages are unlimited shore, so you can dive 15 or 25 times and it is the same price.

    It is more wall-like. It is not a sheer drop-off, but it is definitely not a gradual drop. Most of the time it drops at about 25-30 feet and drops down to anywhere from 70 to 150 feet before it planes out again.

    Bottom time. We usually level out at about 60feet and swim into the current. We go to ~1500psi and turn and swim with the current (if there is any) at about 35-40feet. This usually gets us back to where we parked (give or take). Most of our dives have been right around an hour. Tonight we leveled at 40 feet, made the turn and swam back at 25feet. My wife was having so much fun we stayed for ~70min.........

    She was using her divelight to spot little fish and there were two tarpon (one was about 4.5 feet) that were swimming within arms length and feeding. It was a blast. They hung around for over half the dive........
    I'm sure I would. In fact Bonaire is definitely on my list, along with every other sweet dive spot on the planet.

    How are the accommodations? I can't wait until my children are older and the plan is to expose them to as much adventure as possible. I know you took your wife, but is it fairly family friendly as far as the basics are concerned?

    One other thing, is Nitrox available?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  7. #16
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13,994

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    I'm sure I would. In fact Bonaire is definitely on my list, along with every other sweet dive spot on the planet.

    How are the accommodations? I can't wait until my children are older and the plan is to expose them to as much adventure as possible. I know you took your wife, but is it fairly family friendly as far as the basics are concerned?

    One other thing, is Nitrox available?
    Accomodations--Some are nice. We stay budget. The place that we stay is very clean, but very simple. We are here to dive.

    Kid Friendly--Yes, when the kids are a little older. They have sea camp for kids like 4-5(can't remember for sure). We brought our kids last trip (age 4 and 2.5yr/old) back in January. Brought my in-laws as well (to watch the kids while we dove). THE KIDS LOVED IT!! We would have brought them again, but we did not have any tag-along babysitters. I nearly had it squared away to have my wife's younger cousin come and watch the kids. That would have worked perfect for me. I would have done two morning dives with my wife, and two afternoon dives with the cousin

    Nitrox--Forgot to mention. Most dive packages are "Free upgrade" to Nitrox. When you go into the dive shop area where the tanks are kept there are probably 100 full tanks. Half are nitrox. You just go and grab 2 tanks apiece and head out. When those are empty, you just exchange them for full. A never ending supply of tanks. It is the best setup of any dive destination that I have been to...........
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  8. #17
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,713

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Accomodations--Some are nice. We stay budget. The place that we stay is very clean, but very simple. We are here to dive.

    Kid Friendly--Yes, when the kids are a little older. They have sea camp for kids like 4-5(can't remember for sure). We brought our kids last trip (age 4 and 2.5yr/old) back in January. Brought my in-laws as well (to watch the kids while we dove). THE KIDS LOVED IT!! We would have brought them again, but we did not have any tag-along babysitters. I nearly had it squared away to have my wife's younger cousin come and watch the kids. That would have worked perfect for me. I would have done two morning dives with my wife, and two afternoon dives with the cousin

    Nitrox--Forgot to mention. Most dive packages are "Free upgrade" to Nitrox. When you go into the dive shop area where the tanks are kept there are probably 100 full tanks. Half are nitrox. You just go and grab 2 tanks apiece and head out. When those are empty, you just exchange them for full. A never ending supply of tanks. It is the best setup of any dive destination that I have been to...........
    Good to know regarding the kid friendliness. My son is age 3 and my daughter is 8 mo., so it will be a few years before we start going out of country. Gotta start planning now though

    Were you able to get any pics topside? It would be great to see the shore dive sites, the place you all stayed, etc.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  9. #18
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13,994

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Good to know regarding the kid friendliness. My son is age 3 and my daughter is 8 mo., so it will be a few years before we start going out of country. Gotta start planning now though

    Were you able to get any pics topside? It would be great to see the shore dive sites, the place you all stayed, etc.
    I will have to get back home. I don't have any pics from this trip, but I have several from the last trip. I will post some in a couple days

    Link to where we stayed the last two times.....

    Click HERE

    :oops: I did have a couple pics that I found from the last trip.........

    That is us in the water, my mother-in-law, and my son Ethan........ Note the rocky shoreline. Makes entry and exit a little tricky at some of the dive sites.........



    Note the color change of the water. That is how close to shore the reef is........

    Last edited by Jason71; August 18th, 2007 at 13:05. Reason: Found a couple pics........
    Best Regards,
    Jason




  10. #19
    Member iWatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    349

    Re: A Carib in the Caribbean.......

    Jason,

    Great pics! The Caribbean shows up better than I expected. It's cool to see a watch like mine in action.
    Darin

    Breitling SuperOcean
    1960 DOXA Automatic
    1960 Omega Seamaster DeVille
    TAG Heuer 2000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    2006 copyright Montres DOXA S.A.