'62 AOPA GREAT WHITE SUB- the pictures

Thread: '62 AOPA GREAT WHITE SUB- the pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'62 AOPA GREAT WHITE SUB- the pictures

For a special treat, let's take a peek under the hood of a very rare Breitling .You don't get to see this too often.

This is a first year Cosmonaute with white sub dials. It has been said that this watch doesn't exist...

Enjoy.

Last edited by Speedmeister; October 20th, 2006 at 09:27.
    To have gone to all that expense and then to have crews out on the surface with just an ordinary watch, in retrospect, is a mistaken priority somewhere. -Buzz 108:56:02

Re: '62 AOPA GREAT WHITE SUB- the pictures

wow man....wow. I was looking for the AOPA one but I never thought it was that rare....crap.

Quote Originally Posted by msayewich
    wow man....wow. I was looking for the AOPA one but I never thought it was that rare....crap.
    Hi msayewich

Um, sorry but I can't quite figure what you mean - please explain in simple english, thanks.

Did you find any good examples you are considering?

Cheers,
    Alan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Hi Alan,

I think msayewich is indicating that he didn't understand just how rare the aopa versions are in the market place. Which they are. To find a good example is a project that can sometimes take years. I really get a buzz at seeing this fine example. The movement looks just pristine with not one screw disturbed since day one. A wonderful dial and the case is very crisp. A great find speedmeister, enjoy!
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT
    Hi Alan,

I think msayewich is indicating that he didn't understand just how rare the aopa versions are in the market place. Which they are. To find a good example is a project that can sometimes take years. I really get a buzz at seeing this fine example. The movement looks just pristine with not one screw disturbed since day one. A wonderful dial and the case is very crisp. A great find speedmeister, enjoy!
    That was exactly what I meant. How many of the AOPA model were released to the public? Also Speedmeister where did you find yours? Any back story to it?

Quote Originally Posted by msayewich
    That was exactly what I meant. How many of the AOPA model were released to the public? Also Speedmeister where did you find yours? Any back story to it?
    No one can say for sure how many of these were produced. There are not many around indeed. Like snapit said, it can take years to find one. Luckily, I didn't have to find this particular watch, it found me. Cosmic lattice of coincidence.

If you just like the style, I would suggest looking at a mid to late 60's if you wan't a vintage cosmonaute. Not much difference to the untrained eye.

I am glad to see there is some interest in these vintage Breitlings. It seems like most of the chat on the Breitling forum is geared towards the new stuff. The new stuff is nice, but you can't forget the originals.
    To have gone to all that expense and then to have crews out on the surface with just an ordinary watch, in retrospect, is a mistaken priority somewhere. -Buzz 108:56:02

Hi Alan,

The watch would be PERFECT if it didn't have a couple pry marks on the bottom edge of the caseback and other small signs of forced entry for no apparent reason. It doesn't look like it was ever even seviced. Sad really.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Hi speedmeister,

Try contacting Horologicalservices.com... they are stateside and the ones to do any service on this watch. Wait times are a bit long but you know they have the skill set to do the job first time. Mark Heist is the gentleman you should pen your correspondance to.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Hi speedmeister,

Try contacting Horologicalservices.com... they are stateside and the ones to do any service on this watch. Wait times are a bit long but you know they have the skill set to do the job first time. Mark Heist is the gentleman you should pen your correspondance to.
    Thanks for the tip, but I don't think the watch will be opened again any time soon. I would like to keep the watch virgin.

Hi Alan,

SnapIT,

Right - got it - thanks!

Actually AOPA Navs are not rare - but of course GOOD ones with excellent dials are.

And Speedmeister's 1962 version is eveb rarer!!!!!

Cheers,
    Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information