806 Repair help needed

Thread: 806 Repair help needed

806 Repair help needed

Hi guys advice needed.

My dad has owned his 806 from new, and i sent it off for repair as the crystal (perspex) came off and he lost the slide rule.

breitling want the following

Service £540
    Crystal, hands, pushers and crown £130
    Slide rule £30

firstly is this normal for servicing on an 806 and i was thinking im not sure i want them to replace the pushers crown and hands as they are original and vintage

what do you all think

Re: 806 Repair help needed

Breitling UK have been sending all of their vintage work to the factory in Switzerland this year.

The swiss will not undertake any part jobs on vinatge watches and will usually insist on the majority of the estimated work being proceeded. This is in order to sustain an adequate service warranty.

The parts that are used to replace worn componants (pushers crowns etc) are all original parts and not cheapo aftermarket copies.

Finally regarding the price...It is very expensive however a vintage 806 is not an everyday time piece. Moreover much of the venus 178 movement parts are completely obsolete therefore should hammers / levers / screws be required they will have to be made by hand!

You could probably find a third party to service the watch for half of that price however I can more or less guarantee that the job would also be half the quality.

Good luck!

thing is i dont want it serviced surely they will just replace the slide rule and just not guarnentee the timing keeping accuracy??

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alex** View Post
    thing is i dont want it serviced surely they will just replace the slide rule and just not guarnentee the timing keeping accuracy??

To do the work correctly and professionally that you mention, the case would need to be dissassembled to be cleaned. Both pushers out, crown out, movement removed and bezel assembly removed. Then all case componants would be ultrasonically washed.

I certainly understand your predicament however after part jobs on watches are carried out problems can occur.

This can and does happen and when it does the client would turn to the watchmaker and say it must have been something you did whilst doing the part job...

The watchmaker would turn to the customer and say that I told you it needed to be serviced in the first place and it's not my fault the watch does now not work...

Both parties then have a very uncomfortable negative situation that would need to sorted.

That is why part jobs on sensitive delicate vintage watches are not a good idea.

yeah i mean i do understand and agree with the reasons why they want to do the full job.

and normally id be fine with it but its 700 my dad hasnt got spare at the moment and the watch has already been open when the slide rule was lost however it still keeps good time and is unwarable atm.

all i want is for the slide rule to be replaced and then at some point down the line to get it serviced.

its the service costs i think are steep not the parts the crown, pushers, hands, crystal and slide rule are only 160 quid.

but then 540 to service and clean the movement!! its only 230 for my datora!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex** View Post
    yeah i mean i do understand and agree with the reasons why they want to do the full job.

and normally id be fine with it but its 700 my dad hasnt got spare at the moment and the watch has already been open when the slide rule was lost however it still keeps good time and is unwarable atm.

all i want is for the slide rule to be replaced and then at some point down the line to get it serviced.

its the service costs i think are steep not the parts the crown, pushers, hands, crystal and slide rule are only 160 quid.

but then 540 to service and clean the movement!! its only 230 for my datora!
    As below

Finally regarding the price...It is very expensive however a vintage 806 is not an everyday time piece. Moreover much of the venus 178 movement parts are completely obsolete therefore should hammers / levers / screws be required they will have to be made by hand!

You could probably find a third party to service the watch for half of that price however I can more or less guarantee that the job would also be half the quality.

yeah i would not get it serviced by anyone but breitling

well looks like the 806 i coming home unrepaired to sit in the safe with no wrist to love until either i or my dad has a spare 700 to fix it.

Thread Information