Aerospace crystal always going foggy.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By Dan T.

Thread: Aerospace crystal always going foggy.

Aerospace crystal always going foggy.

I have an Aerospace which several times a day needs rubbing clean with a soft cloth. Even without direct contact it seems to attract a fog on the glass. Is this common with them. Is there a solution that can be applied to stop this?

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Aerospace crystal always going foggy.

Quote Originally Posted by ET8341 View Post
    I have an Aerospace which several times a day needs rubbing clean with a soft cloth. Even without direct contact it seems to attract a fog on the glass. Is this common with them. Is there a solution that can be applied to stop this?
    Your Aerospace will not currently pass a hermeticity (Water Resistace rating) test and it is certainly susceptible to damage from moisture ingress. The watch needs a basic cleaning/service, all seals replaced and a hermiticity test (done with dry, not wet pressure) performed. Hopefully, incipient damage has not yet occured which would obviate a complete service if so... Good luck and keep us apprised.
    Best,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Re: Aerospace crystal always going foggy.

ET, reading your post I can’t be 100% sure whether the fog is internal or external.
    Dan T. likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    ET, reading your post I can’t be 100% sure whether the fog is internal or external.
    My thoughts too. If it's on the outside, I'm not sure there's much to worry about.

If it's on the inside, it could be a number of issues, most common would be an old gasket, probably the one at the stem. Or if you've had a new crystal seated in it recently, either the new crystal isn't aligned or they didn't replace the gasket (or both). Nothing chaps me more than when they don't replace the crystal gaskets - it works like a single-use crush washer, and some watch makers and jewelers don't realize that. That might work for O-ring gaskets, but flat gaskets definitely need replacement when the crystal is lifted out or replaced. Could also be the case back gasket as well, same issue as the crystal gasket.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Sorry, no this is on the outside.

I think its just your hands touching the crystal, and left a hand / finger print on the AR coating.

I don't know if you can prevent it, I guess just stop touching the top of the watch? :p
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

I thought as much.

My other watches fair much better, so its strange.

I’ve got a watch that’s an absolute pig for winning fingerprints on the crystal so it may well be that. Half the time I don’t even know I’ve done it yet next time I look at the watch there’s a hulking great smudge on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Iíve got a watch thatís an absolute pig for winning fingerprints on the crystal so it may well be that. Half the time I donít even know Iíve done it yet next time I look at the watch thereís a hulking great smudge on the glass.
    For years this happened to me and I couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed one day the smudge was extra big. Well I was golfing that morning in Colorado and put on a ton of sunscreen, all over my arms. I had been sitting at the table with my co-workers with my arms folded, and so I figured what was happening was I was smudging the glass when I folded my arms in a manner where the watch was under the arm on top, picking up skin oils and sunscreen on the crystal. Now I notice a little bit of extra gunk on the crystal any time I have been folding my arms where the watch was not on the outer/top arms. Maybe that's what is happening here too...?

Just glad to hear it's on the outside, not the inside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Hunterfate likes this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Thread Information