Colt Chrono thoughts / Dial colours?

Thread: Colt Chrono thoughts / Dial colours?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colt Chrono thoughts / Dial colours?

Hi guys,
    I think I am pretty decided on the Colt Chrono; it fits my wrist well and I like the all around design. Does anyone own one of these, or have any thoughts about them?

I am also kind of torn between a blue and black dial. This watch has to fulfil all my needs, work/play/dress, and I think it will do it admirably. I also want it to last the test of time, and maybe, hand it down to a younger generation. I am off the white dial completely. I looked at the black and the blue, and felt the black was more versatile and fashionably-long-lasting/neutral. But when I see the images in the catalogue and online, the blue seems to look better. Does anyone have any comments on the different dial colours?

Thanks ever so much for your help guys!
    Chris

Re: Colt Chrono thoughts / Dial colours?

Blooooooo

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Off Topic post Hi, Lewis. Welcome aboard! May I suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewisham
    Any comments on the different dial colours?
    the black dial for that beauty? The blue is indeed a beautiful watch also but as I had been told by others and verified myself, it is indeed somewhat limiting in terms of wardrobe selection. I have a blue dial Crosswind and although it is one of my favorite watches, I don't wear it as often as I would like because other watches are much more compatible with the occasion. I have a number of black dial Breitlings because they are, as you say, "more versatile and fashionably-long-lasting/neutral". They are also the most legible and quickly read of my watches. Further, if you have the black dial Colt Chrono on bracelet and have a black leather strap for it as well, you essentially have your wardrobe covered IMHO. Two watches for the price of one as we say. Let us know what you decide and post pics when you get it!
    Cheers,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Hi, Lewis. Welcome aboard! May I suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by O2AFAC67
    Further, if you have the black dial Colt Chrono on bracelet and have a black leather strap for it as well, you essentially have your wardrobe covered IMHO. Two watches for the price of one as we say. Let us know what you decide and post pics when you get it!
    Cheers,
    Ron
    Yeah, I think you are right. I will cut the dials out of the Chronolog and attach them to my wrist (the jewellers only have the black) to make sure ;)

I spent a lot of time today wavering between the Chrono and some of the more utilitarian/popular models, like the Superocean. I ended up coming back because I noticed how much I missed the little details of the Chrono, like the prettier detailing on the hands, the little things that say "I was expensive, but I'm not in your face" It's just a shame it isn't automatic. I don't need the Chrono part really, but the other Colt Automatic just doesn't have the same... pizazz, for want of a better word.

I'll sleep on it for another week or so and make sure I don't teeter any other way. You guys will be first to see the pictures when I recieve whatever model of watch I buy (I am 98% sure it'll be Brietling... they have such a wonderful cachet!)

Hmm, are all the Breitling colour faces the same shade? The reason why I keep seeing the blue Colt Chrono as looking nice is it appears to be a very deep shade of blue.

The website and Chronolog has a deep shading, whereas the one I saw in store (not a Colt Chrono) had that blue sheen to it, that really showed it up.

I hate that this is so hard! O|

Chris

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Hi, Lewis. The only thing you have to worry about...

Hmm, are all the Breitling colour faces the same shade? The reason why I keep seeing the blue Colt Chrono as looking nice is it appears to be a very deep shade of blue.

The website and Chronolog has a deep shading, whereas the one I saw in store (not a Colt Chrono) had that blue sheen to it, that really showed it up.

I hate that this is so hard! O|
    now is how large a hole you can endure in your wallet. :-D This will not be your last time to be in a quandary over which model to choose! :-S To answer your question. No, the blue tint and shading are indeed quite different on different models. The depth of the dial in the case (chrono avenger for example) can also enhance the color effect of the dial. Some models such as the Cosmonaute have an "anthracite" dial which is not quite as black as the black dial nor is it grey such as the "slate grey" on a Chronomat Evolution. Some models such as my blue dial Crosswind look completely different when you look at them inside the dealer's shop and then outside in bright sunlight. You may even have a dealer who is willing to go outside with you and the watch to obtain an idea of what I'm describing.

I spent a lot of time today wavering between the Chrono and some of the more utilitarian/popular models, like the Superocean. I ended up coming back because I noticed how much I missed the little details of the Chrono, like the prettier detailing on the hands, the little things that say "I was expensive, but I'm not in your face" It's just a shame it isn't automatic. I don't need the Chrono part really, but the other Colt Automatic just doesn't have the same... pizazz, for want of a better word.
    Allow me to make you feel better about this observation of yours. The Colt Chrono is undoubtedly IMHO one of two models in the entire Breitling lineup which gives more "bang for the buck" than all the others. The price point for the functionality, INCREDIBLE SuperQuartz accuracy, wonderful "build", excellent aesthetics, class, and style is ridiculously low as far as I'm concerned. Only the B-1 comes close. In fact, even though my collection is all mechanical Breitlings with the single exception of my B-1, my first choice for consideration in the Aeromarine series happens to be the SuperQquartz Chrono Colt! I first considered the caliber 13 Chrono SuperOcean but I have 3 B-13's already and it costs almost 50% more than the Colt Chrono. The Colt has split times and the B-13 watches don't, a feature I like. Bottom line, The benefits of SuperQuartz technology in a beautiful Breitling Chronograph is top shelf, period! :gold We'll stay tuned to find out how you get on....
    Cheers,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Here's mine

Hi Lewisham:
    I bought this new in May and I have NOT regretted it. Keeps perfect time day in day out. The dial is pale ivory. The subdials blue. I have ordered a blue leather strap for it. The Pro 2 bracelet is eye catching, but you need to keep a polishing cloth handy.

In this photo, I have offset the two chrono sweep hands to give emphasis to the insignia which is attached, not painted on.

Good luck in your choice and wear it well!

Stevie

There is something that bears mention:
    if you intend to keep your watch for a
    very long time, the overhauls on Breit-
    ling quartz/SuperQuartz chronographs
    cost considerably more than on non-
    chrono quartz/SuperQuartz models. I
    have a J-Class quartz chrono, bought new
    in 1990 from AD, overhauled once, then
    the chronograph "broke" a mere 2 years
    later. The price tag to overhaul again
    was $750 US, quite a lot more than the
    previous time, plus it should not have
    needed service again so soon. For a few
    hundred more, I can buy a new non-chrono
    entry level Colt after factoring in any
    discount(s). Just another variable to
    help you in making an informed puchase.

Banned

That's a good point.

I recently bought a Quartz Colt, off the bay.

When it came the receipt quoted "no charge for first overhall when due".

I was rather pleased with my added bonus ;_)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan M
    That's a good point.

I recently bought a Quartz Colt, off the bay.

When it came the receipt quoted "no charge for first overhall when due".

I was rather pleased with my added bonus ;_)

That is indeed a valued amenity. Given certain
    issues, a service/overhaul can outprice any watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information