New to watch collecting - need help re assessment of Navitimer Airborne (circa 1997)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SnapIT

Thread: New to watch collecting - need help re assessment of Navitimer Airborne (circa 1997)

New to watch collecting - need help re assessment of Navitimer Airborne (circa 1997)

Hi All

I am very new to the world of luxury watches, but have admired them from afar since I was a teen.

I have recently been promoted and would like to finally commence collecting with a Breitling Navitimer Airborne.

Can someone please assist me with identifying the hallmarks/signs of a genuine Navitimer Airborne? Ive noticed photographs on the web where for example, in some, the hands are gold and in others, the hands are white.

Any further tips re purchasing pre-owned Breitlings generally and in relation to the Navitimer Airborne specifically would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

-MjolnirCFC

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Re: New to watch collecting - need help re assessment of Navitimer Airborne (circa 1997)

The best way to obtain a watch that is now some 15+ years old is to peruse the auction sites. One such is a friend of WUS and is well worth a look..

breitling navitimer airborne Search for a wristwatch

in the search linked you'll notice the 'slight' gradient in pricing to say the least so be aware of the case material and series that you are looking at. It is far simpler for us to assist you if you show us the example you are interested in then trying to load you up front with a myriad of details. Breitling is known for subtle variations within any year of production because of the buyers ability to specify details if they have the pocket book strength and patients to wait for a certain look.
    Last edited by SnapIT; August 19th, 2014 at 18:59.

Re: New to watch collecting - need help re assessment of Navitimer Airborne (circa 1997)

Breitling Watch | eBay

Hi SnapIT

Thank you for your timely reply.

I must confess I have never seen a Navitimer Airborne go for $30k with a leather strap - 'slight' gradient in pricing indeed.

I have linked the Navitimer Airborne the subject of my original post immediately above the greeting to this post.

Otherwise do you (or anyone else reading) have any recommendations when buying watches that are 10+/15+ years old (ie: apart from authenticity, what else are you looking out for?)

-MjolnirCFC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Its a lot like real estate in that we look for provenance, provenance, provenance and condition, condition, condition along with service history. So a lightly used, properly serviced unit with a solid ownership documented, as well as box, papers and any certificates associated with the original watch is high on the desirable scale.
    Regarding the watch you linked it ticks most of the boxes. The fact that it was produced in 1997 according to the papers associated with it means almost certainly it was not COSC certified at the time. Breitling was moving its operation towards supporting the submission of 100% of its production to COSC for testing and certification at that time but it only came on line during the year 2000. Breitling denoted movements/watches that had been submitted by changing the third digit in the model number to '3' from '0' that is the watch in question would have been designated A33303 if the seller has the model number of the watch he is offering correct. Secondly the warranty papers do not reflect the correct numbers for this model as well. The B66050 is not a navitimer. So you have a few red flags you have to take into consideration and over come if you are to have confidence in the seller and therefore the watch. Its been a while since I mention this; first, buy the seller, then the watch.
    Last edited by SnapIT; August 18th, 2014 at 09:40.
    WatchFred likes this.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    Its a lot like real estate in that we look for provenance, provenance, provenance and condition, condition, condition along with service history. So a lightly used, properly serviced unit with a solid ownership documented, as well as box, papers and any certificates associated with the original watch is high on the desirable scale.
    Regarding the watch you linked it ticks most of the boxes. The fact that it was produced in 1997 according to the papers associated with it means almost certainly it was not COSC certified at the time. Breitling was moving its operation towards supporting the submission of 100% of its production to COSC for testing and certification at that time but it only came on line during the year 2000. Breitling denoted movements/watches that had been submitted by changing the third digit in the model number to '3' from '0' that is the watch in question would have been designated A33303 if the seller has the model number of the watch he is offering correct. Secondly the warranty papers do not reflect the correct numbers for this model as well. The B66050 is not a navitimer. So you have a few red flags you have to take into consideration and over come if you are to have confidence in the seller and therefore the watch. Its been a while since I mention this; first, buy the seller, then the watch.
    Wow,

There is no way i would have picked all that up.

Thanks SnapIT.

I will give the watch a pass and continue with my searches/hunt

-MjolnirCFC

Thread Information