Newbie B1 and Breitling Service Questions

Thread: Newbie B1 and Breitling Service Questions

Confused Newbie B1 and Breitling Service Questions

Here are some newbie questions from a Breitling Forum newbie.

Q1. Breitling Service Issues

I purchased my B1 back in 2003, complete with the little accompanying UTC watch. I ordered the black leather strap. At the time I was living in Vancouver. After wearing the watch for a year I noticed the leather strap was beginning to separate at the seam. Taking it back into the jewerly store from where it was purchased, they contacted Breitling to see if it could be replaced. Having sent the watch back to Breitling, Breitling arbitrarily decided that I must have, "gone swimming" with the watch and so felt no obligation to replace the leather strap. "Go swimming with my Breitling!???" Stunned by their unexpected response, and not wanting to risk running into the same problem again I switched to their metal strap and suffered the price. I love my watch but I must say I wasn't very happy as a customer with their somewhat arbitrary and seemingly arrogant response. Anyone else run into a similar service response?

B1 Discontinued

This may seem like a bit of an obtuse question so please excuse my naivity. From the first time I saw the B1 I thought it was an awesome watch! I had to buy it BEFORE I retired because I wouldn't be able to afford it afterwards! Breitling also seemed to promote it as a bit of a flag ship in relation to their professional, "electronic" watch. If that's the case, why in heaven's name would they discontinue it? Was it not a popular seller? Was it too pricey?

Q3. Breitling Cap

Is it possible to acquire a new Breitling cap somewhere? Mine's really faded!

Thanks

Tom_CYWG

Re: Newbie B1 and Breitling Service Questions

A1: Sorry to hear about the trouble with the strap, but on the upside, the UTC is totally at home on the bracelet, My Opinion.

A2: Good question mate. The B1 is timeless, it will continue to be since they replaced it with the Airwolf, which gains it's own following. But it makes owning one so much nicer when you know they get harder to find every year.

A3: If you look on the bay there are plenty, or you could always buy a new B. I told my wife I wanted another hat so I bought another Breitling, dangit, they sent me a knife instead. Guess I will try again.
    As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.

Thank for the quick reply Jim. You will recall I mentioned that I had to buy my watch BEFORE I retired! Now that I'm only a flight instructor, the best I will be able to do is see if I can score a hat off E-Bay! That's kinda funny about the knife! Go figure Eh? I spent the evening researching Breitling watches and learning about counterfeit and replicas which leads me to think that just maybe, Breitling is trying to stay one step ahead of the counterfeiters by changing models every few years. Based on the quality of the counterfeits out there I don't know if I would comfortable purchasing a Breitling through the web. You didn't mention what type of Breitling(s) you purchased.]
    Cheers
    Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

welcome, fellow Breitling B1 owner. sad to hear about your experience with your leather strap. other than the steel bracelet, you could try the rubber strap, it is a good combo on the B1 and its not gonna wear out as fast as the leather strap even with a couple of splashes at the sink.

mikko

EJC

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_CYWG View Post
    Thank for the quick reply Jim. You will recall I mentioned that I had to buy my watch BEFORE I retired! Now that I'm only a flight instructor, the best I will be able to do is see if I can score a hat off E-Bay! That's kinda funny about the knife! Go figure Eh? I spent the evening researching Breitling watches and learning about counterfeit and replicas which leads me to think that just maybe, Breitling is trying to stay one step ahead of the counterfeiters by changing models every few years. Based on the quality of the counterfeits out there I don't know if I would comfortable purchasing a Breitling through the web. You didn't mention what type of Breitling(s) you purchased.]
    Cheers
    Tom
    Before you buy a hat off the bay contact BUSA or whoever they are in Canada.

A few years ago when I got my 1st hat, I told them they created a problem. My wife and kids were jealous. They sent me 4 hats.

Sometimes a bit of humor, and just asking will work. Remember it is cheap advertising for them, especially when a FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR isd wearing it.

Don't be shy, a phone call or 2 has scored me several really great looking T-Shirts, several Golf shirts and the hats. There are those out there who believe my wardrobe is by Breitling
    Elliot
    "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!"

EJC

As to the strap, sorry to hear your problem.
    You might want to consider an after market strap, Banda.com, Hirsch, Watchprince.com, sirtoli.com etc all have great alternatives - leathe, sharkskin, carbon fiber, and you can just put the Breitling clasp on it
    Elliot
    "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!"

Tom,

PM me your address and I will send you a hat. You helped me out with landing my Super Mouse a year ago ...

Cheers,

Dennis
    Cheers,

Dennis

Rolex SS Submariner Date
    Omega SMP GMT
    Breitling M1

Thread Information