Playing with light

Thread: Playing with light

Playing with light

HI All,
    About three months ago I bought a new Chrono Superocean from my local AD. Initially, I selected it from the Breitling catalog because it had a day/date feature and it is a chronograph. The fact that it is a helluva dive watch rated to 1650 feet was not a purchase factor for me because I’m not a diver. Day/date is rather uncommon in the Breitling lineup. That was the major point for me. Of course, I would not buy any watch without a chrono complication. So, this watch had all the technical abilities I was seeking plus the security of knowing I won’t ruin it by wearing it accidently in the shower (my only “dive” activity).

My new CSO fought for wrist time with my other good watches all of which have their own personality. I like them all. Oh sure, at first, the CSO was worn a lot because it was new. But, as time passed, it fell in to the rotation with my other watches. It lost some of its luster because of familiarity and a busy lifestyle, I suppose, which is a shame.

This morning it was the CSO’s turn for wrist time. As I came into my computer room to make my normal check of the forums, early morning sun light was streaming in through the window right to my seating position. It caught my CSO perfectly. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of this watch. I wanted to share my joy with you. This is truly a beautiful watch.

Breitling’s concept of playing with light is in full bloom with this watch. Everything from the polished case and bracelet contrasting with the brushed bezel with its polished rider tabs, to the domed AR crystal, set the stage for the spectacular dial elements. The bezel is a work of art with its polished accent ring around the crystal. The hour markers are applied, facet shaped and shiny surrounding the lume. This watch has no hour numbers. The dial has a kind of simplicity which focuses your attention on the other elements. Yet, there is a lot going on but it does not seem overly busy. The day/date window is in the 3 o-clock position. An applied gold winged Breitling logo over the day/date window adds a final touch of class to the dial. Detail and finish are first rate.

The chrono registers are ivory with narrow surrounding polished rings with black hands contrasting against the dark grey of the ring embossed dial surface. The main hands use a shiny finish which frames the lume. The chrono second hand is polished with a red tip and the Breitling anchor at the other end.

Light is the theme of this watch. As you change your wrist angle, different elements come into play while others fall into the background. This effect is happening constantly as the light angle changes. Breitling perfectly judged the relationship between the background against the highlighted features. The watch appears to have life as the highlighted elements change from moment to moment. Then, when the light angle is just right, all of the polished features light up at the same time; bezel, register rings, markers, hands and logo. It’s like it is internally illuminated but better. Spectacular!!

I urge you to take a look at this watch. You may fall in love as I did.

Sparky
    Last edited by Karma; April 3rd, 2010 at 18:48.

Beautiful CSO!

Totally agree. Mine has the blue dial. The only thing missing is the all-dark (blackeye blue or all-blue) dial option. I'd certainly immediately go out for the 2nd one!
    Today the only integrated chronograph with not less than 10 atm wr and diver's turning count-up lunette in the Breitling line-up is the CSO that is not available with the black-eye blue or all-blue dial...:
    Chronomat EVO: all-blue with romans, Blue Angels 2010 Japan LE with blackeye-blue. Chronomat B01: blackeye blue. Chrono Cockpit (now Galactic): all-blue. SA: all-blue AS: all-blue. SOHC: all-blue AND blackeye-blue, LE: blackeye-blue. Poor CSO: onlythe strong contrasting "silvereye-blue" which makes readability much worse. I hope this will change this year before this model will go out in favour of the next generation CSO...

Anyway, beautiful Ling and the day-date adds that special something that makes this watch soooooooo desirable!

Enjoy! Best, Robertus
    Last edited by Robertus; April 3rd, 2010 at 19:49.

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Confused Re: Playing with light

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I urge you to take a look at this watch. You may fall in love as I did.
    Sparky
    If one picture is worth a thousand words maybe we could have....
    Best,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Playing with light

Thank you for the post. You paint a beautiful picture and I could not agree with you more. I think Breitling has got it's stuff together where their faces are concerned. Actually, on all things.
    Best health, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by O2AFAC67 View Post
    If one picture is worth a thousand words maybe we could have....
    Best,
    Ron
    HI Ron,
    I intensionally did not post a picture (and I knew someone would ask) because first, there is no way a picture can capture the sense of organic life the watch exhibits with light and two, I love to write. I think I captured the sense of the watch from my personal point of view better than any picture could. In this case, a picture is not worth a thousand words. If you want a picture go to the Breitling site. But, be warned, it will not tell the story.

Sparky
    Last edited by Karma; April 4th, 2010 at 17:04.

While not nearly as articulate as your description, ive always thought by B's look really good when im in Best Buy lol

Bump

You did it, Sparky! You have managed to express the same what I am trying to express through photo of that watch. Welldone!
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    HI Ron,
    I intensionally did not post a picture (and I knew someone would ask) because first, there is no way a picture can capture the sense of organic life the watch exhibits with light and two, I love to write. I think I captured the sense of the watch from my personal point of view better than any picture could. In this case, a picture is not worth a thousand words. If you want a picture go to the Breitling site. But, be warned, it will not tell the story.

Sparky
    I disagree - if that was the case you would have people that do photography for a living or Ron showing how exquisite nature of his "B's".

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order

What a great way to put that in words. That happens to me a bunch with my Superocean Steelfish I love how the light shows off the different aspects of the watch.

Thread Information