Service Cost for an Aerospace
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By leatherheadff
  • 1 Post By stamsd

Thread: Service Cost for an Aerospace

Service Cost for an Aerospace

I own a Breitling Aerospace that is now dead due to a battery leaking issue.
    I sent the watch to the Breiting service center and then was told the watch needed a new movement that cost me USD 1,100.
    Do you think is that a reasonable price ?
    Last edited by welly; 1 Week Ago at 10:55.

Re: Service Cost for an Aerospace

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I own a Breitling Aerospace that is now dead due to a battery leaking issue.
    I sent the watch to the Breiting service center and then was told the watch needed a new movement that cost me USD 1,100.
    Do you think is that a reasonable price ?
    The general repair cost for a movement (service) is around $500. BUSA's description of the watch is usually pretty harsh and they'll list every little scratch and wear mark as they will look through a loupe at every little flaw. A lot of what they describe is hard to see with the naked eye. They'll list what's required and what's optional on the quote. Depending which Aerospace you have can also affect the quote a little. I sent an Aerospace in last year that I thought was in great condition, working properly, but needed a crown tube and got the $1100 quote which I declined. The middle case which has the crown tube built in was listed at $130 and that's all that would be needed to fix the watch but they wouldn't just replace that and added all sorts of "extras" to get the price up. You can't get the parts anywhere else on 90% of the Aerospace's so they have you over a barrel. The earliest Aerospace movement can be gotten for less than $200 but everything after that is unobtainable aftermarket and Breitling will install a Superquartz movement (at the same cost) in later models that didn't have them. So, you have to make the decision whether the price is reasonable. BUSA usually does great work and you do get a year warranty.

I think that $1100 for the new movement, so long as it includes re-pressure testing the watch, cleaning the inside, etc. is reasonable. And I think it probably does include those things in the total. It's not hard to imagine that a leaking battery could destroy the movement. I would wonder if the battery was a Breitling one? Or installed during a Breitling service? May be worth asking the question about the battery/service history if you can. If it was an aftermarket battery vs. OEM, and who installed it, etc.

I know the Superquartz services are kind of expensive, I think I paid around $400 for my Aerospace Evo, which included battery replacement, but there is some benefit to having it done by the manufacturer rather than a local shop. I paid somewhere around $90 for a battery replacement locally from a Breitling AD (because the B1 had that crazy case back that I couldn't get open), and while they did a good job, there was no pressure testing or warranty associated with the work. I also ended up with some dust on the glossy black dial which hadn't been there prior to the work, and they wouldn't open it back up to remove it. I don't think I would have had that problem if I'd gone directly thorough Breitling.
    zeit_time likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You don't want to take any chances with a leaking battery. Batteries have some nasty stuff in them, and that the watch didn't get junked outright is something to be grateful for.

It's a risk that we take owning tech that's both common but unique. Like, anyone can service an ETA 2824 but not everyone can get parts that are up to Breitling's spec, and are rhodium plated, and bring it to COSC spec. Same goes for quartz. If it's just a battery then it should be simple, but there are other unique parts that can wear, and only the manufacturer really has them.

Not unreasonable - but incredibly frustrating. An $1,100 service on a quartz watch would leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Which model is it? If the watch has no sentimental value and is an older model, I would just upgrade.
    onyourwrist likes this.

Not worth it...
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

I would bring it to an independent watch maker.

Quote Originally Posted by stamsd View Post
    Which model is it? If the watch has no sentimental value and is an older model, I would just upgrade.
    This. or try and find the movement used and grab some youtube university knowledge.

Thread Information